The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
foolsbreath

GIRDLED PLANT

I have a plant that has been girdled.

It is only a few feet tall but has been bent over at 90 degrees and effectively ring barked above the first few small branches.

It is still alive above the damage, but I don't know for how much longer

My question is is should I remove all branches above the girdle and strike as cuttings and discard of most of the main stem, try to strike the whole top as a cutting (rather bushy, woody and at least a foot high) or remove a bit more bark and try air layering to get roots going and then removing the whole top?

It strikes cuttings not too difficultly

Edited by foolsbreath

always strike small cuttings, not the whole plant. Feel free to do several as you will need to prune back your main plant anyway.

I would never give up on a plant like that though. Even if there are just a few fibres of phloem your plant can regrow what it needs. It won't be healthy, but it might produce seed or give you more cuttings. Keep the main trunk either horizontal or tie it vertically onto a peg so it can't move. Prune it heavily to reduce water demand. But in case it fails definitely take cuttings.

Thanks T

I'll start removing lover branches today and strike as cuttings and see how she goes :)