The Corroboree
M S Smith

What are these?

Question

Take a guess or multiple guesses, but do so without referring to any of my past photos. Just go off what you think you know from the past and from the plant or plants in your collection. kt, it really is your opinion on this I want more than any others. I think you will find this particularly fun, cause it has a really interesting ending that I'll get to.

DSC01672.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

~Michael~

KK's uyupampensis doesn't seem to match Backeberg's description based on KK's photos but do look to be really beautiful plants.

I hope to have some bone fide macrogonus soon (from old horticultural stock from a collection located in Germany) so can watch how its new growth occurs and what color new spines are on those. I'm also trying to simulatenously organize a cutting of the same material to get into Evil Genius' hands for the same reason.

I've been told these old collections are mainly used as grafting stocks (they are far less showy that what is passing around as macrogonus thanks to Knize's seeds and are not considered to be as desirable for that reason).

I am trying to get permission to post the photos that were shared with me. They look like a shorter spined peruvianus with older spines that go entirely greyish.

I'm having trouble with an increasing lack of time for participating in the forums and this is likely to get worse rather than better for a while but I'll keep trying to check in whenever I can.

Uh oh. I don't remember what I sent Osprey so many years ago, but if I called it a macrogonus it was Kakster's RS0004. Until recently that was the only plant I had with a macrogonus label.

I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear when I sent the plant out.

Uh oh. I don't remember what I sent Osprey so many years ago, but if I called it a macrogonus it was Kakster's RS0004. Until recently that was the only plant I had with a macrogonus label.

I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear when I sent the plant out.

I suppose that might explain why they look quite identical. :)

~Michael~