The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Council planted, non-native Acacia I.D.

K, I think it's a non native. Just because it's got corms where the PODS should be. When it was in flower ( not pictured )It had flowers that looked more like Eucalyptus erythrocorys. ANy Idea on what it may be or atleast a family of acacia to start searching in?

th_87480_DSC04422_122_1118lo.JPGth_87492_DSC04421_122_674lo.JPGth_87504_DSC04420_122_822lo.JPG

Thanks in advance

Naja

Edited by naja naja

K, I think it's a non native. Just because it's got corms where the PODS should be. When it was in flower ( not pictured )It had flowers that looked more like Eucalyptus erythrocorys. ANy Idea on what it may be or atleast a family of acacia to start searching in?

th_87480_DSC04422_122_1118lo.JPGth_87492_DSC04421_122_674lo.JPGth_87504_DSC04420_122_822lo.JPG

Thanks in advance

Naja

i thinks its probably a hakea of some sort, they always look like phyllodes to me.

Hakea laurina Pincushion Hakea.

It ain't no pincushion hakea, I know wat they look like. This had diff flowers from that. Just embarrassing since I'm a trained Horticulturalist.

LOL,

dont feel too bad naja, EVERYTIME i visit a nursery i see the Hakeas from a mile off and im like, Ooh Ooh acacia acacia, then i get a lil closer and its, Goddamn nother hakea bastid.

Can you post a pic of the actual flower naja?

ah don't stress naja, horticulturalists aren't trained botanists and vice versa. :)

I don't understand what you mean by corms? the dealio where the flower emerges? I'm a little rusty but am pretty sure they are referred to simply as bracts (and their specific type/placement) and are present with many Australian Acacia (but you prob know that :) ).

Referring to the fruit? It'll be a follicle :)

Any further details on the plant? flower colours/structures, plant size/shape etc. As much information as you can give about the whole plant will get you a better response, minor details are almost always helpful in plant ID. I suppose habitat/soils sort of ID is shot due to council planting it, unless it's a local.

i think there is a lucid series Hakea/Proteaceae ID being produced, or is produced, but I can't find much info atm. Probably still in the works as the site summarises flora grants in 2006/2007 : "Completion of key (Lucidâ„¢) to all species of Hakea (Proteaceae) in Australia

State Herbarium of South Australia

$20 560" http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity...e/31/index.html

Edited by gerbil

Yeah

It's definitely a Hakea - and I would have called it a pincushion hakea but as we all know common names aren't really worth much when IDing something. I used to have one the same in my yard.

As gerbil says, they aren't corms - corms are things like bulbs that are at the base of a geophyte plant such as Chasmanthe or Watsonia.

Hakea laurina gets my vote. :)