The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Germinating Catha seeds

(The post in "plants & seeds swap" on Catha seeds is getting rather large so I thought I'd post this here.)

I could not find much information about growing Catha from seed, so I decided that good old 'trial and error' would teach something if at least what not to do.

I have managed to get 31% germ rate so far (still waiting patiently wink.gif.

Seeds were simply, left on a window sil under indirect sunlight, in distilled water for 2 weeks to soak.

Those that were floating have sprouted and so have a couple of the ones that were fully submerged.None have rotted.

Does anyone have any successful methods they'd wish to share.

I put some cacti mix in a container,(one of those clear plastic take-away jobs with lids), Planted some seed, Put the lid on and on day 8 they were all popped up. biggrin.gif

Thanks Reville.

Guest jetson77

That sounds like a pretty good success-rate! Was the container in a sunny spot, partial, or no direct sunlight? and how deep did you sow the seeds?

Most of the seed was planted just below the surface without direct sunlight. Once they popped up i put them on the window sill, Just cheked on them and their beautifull, Healthy, Little green babies.

Planted a few outside but no luck with them yet.

Well my are doing quite well.

Ive got them in some cacti soil, moistened each day, They are onto their 3rd set of leaves now, after about 3 weeks. My germination rate was about 30-40%, some are still popping up all the time, however I did note that a few of the seeds were actually mashed up a bit, prolly courtesy of Aussie Post. So I reckon the overall germ rate is about 50%. I did have some on damp tissue paper for a fortnight but they seemed to do nothing. The ones that have germinated are the one spread around under the soil. Maybe they need darkness as well?

I'm guessing once they get established they'll go into clay pots with cacti-ish soil, with little fertilising and watering and in bright sunshine. The leaves seem pretty waxy/shiny and if they grow in somalia etc.. wild then I doubt their soil is too great. Unless of course you guys know any different

Kai.

ps Anyone like to guess how long the seeds may remain viable, coz I may as well plant them all now if they're gonna drop off. But I still would like to keep some seed.

Guest reville

Great to hear of success!

sorry about the seed mash. Ive only had one come back and since then i send them in bublewrap.

Still it seems everyone got their $5 worth

good to hear.

Hopefully we'll have some light green narrowleaf for the seedring in the near future.Ive yet to figure out a price but once again itll be good value.

Thankyou to everyone for the support and i cant wait to chase up the leads ive goten at the conference

It looks like the AFSR will be getting in some desirable species so keep an eye on us in the next few months

Guest reville

sorry about the seed mash. Ive only had one come back and since then i send them in bublewrap.

good to hear.

Hopefully we'll have some light green narrowleaf for the seedring in the near future.Ive yet to figure out a price but once again itll be good value.

Thankyou to everyone for the support and i cant wait to chase up the leads ive goten at the conference

It looks like the AFSR will be getting in some desirable species so keep an eye on us in the next few months

Guest reville

good to hear.

I think i was pretty lucky, Only half of the envelope arrived and it was all taped up, It also had a group of stamps on it, 1 saying package was inspected and 1 saying the envelope was caught in the soughting machine. So even after all their abuse i had around 100% germinate indoors, None of the ones outside have popped up yet. smile.gif