The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Caldeye

P.viridis- soil pH?

Hi all,

I've got some P. viridis seeds germinating in coarse sterilized sand. Nine weeks after sowing two of them sprouted.

What soil would be best for them?

Am I right in assuming that it's pH should be slightly on the acidic side?

Would the seedlings do better with some sphagnum moss added to the soilmix?

Thanks

wait for first real leaves before transplanting. then use a well draining high humus potting mix with a bit of coarse sand mixed in. ph should be about 6, but I really woulnd't bother with that. high humus soil will usually be baout 6.

damn, that last post was actually me. forgot to reset the user after doing some tests.

thanks, Torsten (if that was really you smile.gif )

I'll have to wait a bit then, the seedlings still have their seed caps on.

keep it humid or the seedcoat won't come off.

Guest DragonFyre

Caldeye, there aint too much point in trying to get your ph right with soil, its just too damn hard and the ph will just keep changing on you anyway... the only need for ph adjustment is in making nutrients for hydroponics... soil growing is a different thing altogether because using soil you can never really know what salts are in it, the concentration, etc etc etc. So my advice to you is to find a general fertilizer (perferably a complete one) - I've always found Miracle Grow to be a good all round fertilizer (high in Phosphorus too! - rare!!) and I also use Thrive as a boost fertilizer occassionally or you could just buy all the salts and make one of your own (though its better to know what your doing!) but other than that when your plants are in soil cant ask too much more from you - though if you are gonna be finnicy about the ph of your soil still - or even the fertilizer/nutrient, then anything ova 5.5 and *definately* under 7 should keep them happy... I've always found 6.2-6.4 to be the perfect ph for most plants, especially tomatoe kind =)

as for the growing medium, I've always found the Coconut Coir bricks you buy ($2-$3) to be the best thing to pot in though if you aren't going to go hydro then you will need to mix some soil with it or add salts so the plant will have something to live off - with cactii just sift all the coco coir/soil as fine as possible (leave out all the bigger stuff) and mix it with double the amount of course sand, should be perfect for growing

Best of luck and hope this was of help to you and anyone else reading it

Best of luck in growing

Dragon Fyre

I keep them still in the ziplock bag, pretty humid. One seedling already has its seedcoat off. Hope there'll be more to come up smile.gif

Dragonfyre: thanks for your tips, I think when one or two of them is established enough to take leaf cuttings from, I'll possibly try hydro... still a long time to wait...