The Corroboree
save_the_whales

casing pics

hi all,

well after everyone's generosity with prints, i persuaded my dutch friend to show some photos of his achievements.

these are ecuadors, BRF jars cased with 50/50+lime and gypsum. fruited in tupperware boxes, tub in tub for heat. airstone under perlite for FAE (constantly on), with two 4" holes in the tops filled with polyfill. seemed to work great. rH was at 100% most of the time and didn't seem to adversely affect the fruits.

i was surprised by the thin stems. short little fellas too. good pinset though, not bad for his first casing attempt (and a multispore at that). i know that he is sending lots of prints to the FSRE and also some here soon.

its interesting to note that he had 2 casing trays. the first was this one. the other one, he ran out of 50/50 mix, so used half that and half Verm for the casing layer. it pinned 3 days later, and the flush was only about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of this casing that i'm showing you.

Thanks Harry.

cheers,

whale breath.

post-362-1185682359_thumb.jpg

post-362-1185682376_thumb.jpg

Edited by save_the_whales

was surprised by the thin stems. short little fellas too. good pinset though, not bad for his first casing attempt (and a multispore at that). i know that he is sending lots of prints to the FSRE and also some here soon.

Not bad for his first casing attempt? Bit of an understatement if i do say so myself

Excellent work STW, looks awesome.

i was surprised by the thin stems. short little fellas too.

your answer may be here,

rH was at 100% most of the time

hehe, not that i would complain about a flush like that.

i was surprised by the thin stems. short little fellas too. good pinset though, not bad for his first casing attempt (and a multispore at that). i know that he is sending lots of prints to the FSRE and also some here soon.

Could also be because of the depth of your substrate - 8cm's is a minimum if you want chunkier fruits. Cool photos!

awesome, well i have learned two things already. good point on the casing depth, this one was only 25% of substrate depth. time to experiment. i will try less rH too! not totally sure how, might leave lids off a bit, though it led to a little too much drying of casing.. might need a timer for that airstone. too many gadgets can = too much buggerising around!

thanks for my birthday advice! man im feeling old. and who wants to get up early on their birthday? not me!

Edited by save_the_whales

I was referring to your substrate depth, not the casing - just in case you missed that.

ah yeah well i did. good point. i was trying to work out ratios of casing layer to substrate, but it makes sense that there is a degree of substrate which is a minimum to start with. in this light grain makes sense i guess. revs rice cooker tek seems to work well, even with only boiling pot sterilisation method (2 hrs).. the grains have not contamned yet, despite some of them sitting for more than 4 weeks.