The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Picture Request Friedrich Ritter

Hi Guys, we need a Pic of Friedrich Ritter, the german Cactus Collector. Any Picture would be very Appreciated! Up to now i only found a pic of his car. :shroomer:

Please check out your libaries! If you find one you´ll get an original german chocolate snack from the Alps!

bye Eg

Hey Bob-Bob, your absolutely the man! I think it´s really him! Thanks heaps!

Would love to send you some german Choclate if you PM me your adress! But surely just if you want to! You dont have to if you dont like sweeties :-)lol

bye Eg

Oh, it´s not him. This one died 1934 due to botulism poisoning! But you´ll get the chocolate nevertheless cause your a cool guy! bye Eg

I think that is a different Dr. Ritter than the cactus collector EG.

In August 1929, Doctor Friedrich Ritter and Dore Stranch arrive to the island of Floreana, two lovers anxious to live under their own philosophy, isolated from their decadent civilization. Their writings attracted others with similar ideas, but none of them lasted long except for the Wittmer family (Heinz, Marget, and Harris) from Cologne. A few months later, an Austrian woman arrived, who introduced herself as the Baroness together with three lovers, and the island was transformed into a small hell, due to intrigues of the new inhabitants. The first lover returned to the mainland after a few weeks.

In March 1934, the Baroness disappeared with one of her lovers, Phillipson, and even though Margret affirms that they went on a yacht to the Pacific Island, no one has given any credit to her story. Margret convinced Lorenz, the surviving lover, to return to Germany. He disappeared along with another Danish man, Nuggerud, before arriving to the island of San Cristobal. A few months later, Dr. Ritter was poisoned (on purpose or by accident?) by Dore, and died. In December, the mummified bodies of Lorenz and Nuggerud were found on the island of Marchena. Out of the seven colonists four died mysteriously, this mystery has never been solved. However, the Wittmer family still lives on the island.

17.jpg

from here.

bah, too slow again lol.

He He, thanks Passive! The Cactus Ritter was a shy guy! I never saw a pic though i know many of his former friends! Maybe he was awfully ugly. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

This one died 1934 due to botulism poisoning! But you´ll get the chocolate nevertheless cause your a cool guy! bye Eg

So the Dr. Ritter you are looking for died in 1934? Because the Ritter I have posted past away in 1989, he is famous for collecting and describing many species of cacti. Ritterocereus is named in his honour.

Hi Bob-Bob, the one on the pic is probably not the right one! Wrong Ritter died in 1934, the Cactus Ritter died in the 80s. I think that the Galapagos Ritter is not the same but i cant say it for sure. Thats really confusing! :-) bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

The info from the link you posted that contains the pic doesnt say anything about cacti Bob.

http://www.galapagos.to/EPHEMERA/INDEX.HTM#Ritter

Ritter, Friedrich

1931Dr. Ritter auf der Galapagosinsel. (“Dr. Ritter of the Galápagos Islands.”) Berlin: Verlag con M. Willahn. “Adam and Eve in the Galapagos.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 4 (October, pp. 409-418).

“Satan Walks in the Garden.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 5 (November, pp. 565-575).

“Eve Calls It a Day.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 6 (December, pp. 733-743).

Concord, New Hampshire: Atlantic Monthly Company.1935Friedrich Ritter † Als Robinson Auf Galapagos. (“The Robinson [Crusoe] of Galápagos.”) Leipzig: Grethlein & Co Nachf.1936?Dr. Fr. Ritter † Het Treurspel op de Galapagos-Eilanden. (“The Tragedy of the Galápagos Islands.”) Haarlem: N. V. Uitgevers-Bedrijf “Eigen Volk.” (An undated Dutch translation by L. Th. Domhoff.)

Friedrich Ritter

Dr. Ritter auf der Galapagosinsel is cited by John Treherne in his The Galapagos Affair bibliography, but no details are given. In A Modern Sea Beggar, Temple Utley makes a passing reference to the publication of private letters by Ritter and Dore Strauch that “… had been hastily collected together into a book.” This may be the book cited by Treherne, but a copy has not yet been located.

On the title page of Als Robinson auf Galapagos, a “†” symbol after the author's name indicates the book was published posthumously. And in fact the book concludes with a description of his death. The ms. may have been written from Ritter's notes by Dore Strauch after she returned to Germany. However, Treherne (p. 197) states that Ritter's nephew wrote that “The net proceeds from the book will go to the lawful heirs of Dr. Ritter, his wife and sister, after it was found impossible to get the assistance of Frau Strauch-Koerwin.” Treherne does not identify his source, nor does he explain how Ritter's notes passed from Dore Strauch to someone else, without her assistance. The Floreana map on p. 255 of the German edition does not appear in the Dutch edition. The property called “Friedo” in the Atlantic Monthly articles (Ritter 1931) and in Satan Came to Eden (Strauch 1935) is here identified as “Frido.” (Further details pending translation into English.)

As far as i know, the cactus Ritter hadnt had a Doctor Title! Maybe this helps you somehow! bye Eg

Silly me.... this is how the connection is made.. Thanks P.D. for pointing that out..

This is from our friends at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Ritter

Friedrich Ritter (1898-1989) was a botanist who collected and described many species of cacti. Ritterocereus is named in his honour. He wrote the article "Adam and Eve in the Galapagos Islands", which can be found in the October 1931 issue of Atlantic Magazine.

And this is from the site of the photo.

http://www.galapagos.to/BOOKS.HTM#Ritter

Ritter, Friedrich Ritter photo Info

Dr. Ritter auf der Galapagosinsel. (“Dr. Ritter of the Galápagos Islands.”) Berlin: Verlag con M. Willahn.

“Adam and Eve in the Galapagos.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 4 (October, pp. 409-418).

“Satan Walks in the Garden.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 5 (November, pp. 565-575).

“Eve Calls It a Day.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 6 (December, pp. 733-743).

Concord, New Hampshire: Atlantic Monthly Company.

Friedrich Ritter † Als Robinson Auf Galapagos. (“The Robinson [Crusoe] of Galápagos.”) Leipzig: Grethlein & Co Nachf.

1936?

Dr. Fr. Ritter † Het Treurspel op de Galapagos-Eilanden. (“The Tragedy of the Galápagos Islands.”) Haarlem: N. V. Uitgevers-Bedrijf “Eigen Volk.” (An undated Dutch translation by L. Th. Domhoff.)

Unless the information is incorrect, this is the same Ritter..

Checked some old lecture notes, and the Dr Ritter of the Galapagos definetly died in 1934

In your quote of the book references there, the † after his name means that it was published after he was dead, and I think one was finished by someone else

Someones wiki has mixed up two Fred Ritters :wink:

Dr. Ritter auf der Galapagosinsel. (“Dr. Ritter of the Galápagos Islands.”) Berlin: Verlag con M. Willahn.

“Adam and Eve in the Galapagos.” In Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 148, No. 4 (October, pp. 409-418).

Concord, New Hampshire: Atlantic Monthly Company.

Friedrich Ritter † Als Robinson Auf Galapagos. (“The Robinson [Crusoe] of Galápagos.”) Leipzig: Grethlein & Co Nachf.

1936?

Dr. Fr. Ritter † Het Treurspel op de Galapagos-Eilanden. (“The Tragedy of the Galápagos Islands.”) Haarlem: N. V. Uitgevers-Bedrijf “Eigen Volk.” (An undated Dutch translation by L. Th. Domhoff.)

Thanks F.B. I should have picked that up!

All my faith has just been lost in wikipedia...

Thanks heaps though guys! If someone should be able to find a pic in the future, this thread might be a good place to put it in! If someone wants german choclate give me a shout. Ritter wouldnt wanted us to starve just because he was such a shy guy. bye Eg

Hi Michael,

thanks for the Article! It can help if i´ll be able to get some of the publications! I´ll also try to get some of the old german KUAS mags about Ritter! Maybe one of them contains a Pic! bye Eg