The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

Orange rot.

The other day I noticed bright orange/rust coloured "rot" on my madisoiorum. I cut the flesh and found that it had not penetrated the plant. I moved it away from other cacti. Today, I noticed a 10 cent piece sized patch on a prickly pear. I cut it out... and it was deep. funnily, a seemingly unaffected pad had fallen off a couple of days earlier, which I take to be a sign. I found some possible info regarding this condition here. http://www.jpacd.org/Jpacd98/saaddega.pdf . Is this very contagious? can it be fixed with any organic applications? I will post some photos tomorrow.

I recently isolated a Fusarium sp. from a patch of orange rot on a loph. I am currently growing this out and will reinfect some cacti to test Kochs Postulates. If this turns out to be causal I will do a trial run with a few different fungicides on agar and see which is the most effective.

Stay tuned....

I recently isolated a Fusarium sp. from a patch of orange rot on a loph. I am currently growing this out and will reinfect some cacti to test Kochs Postulates. If this turns out to be causal I will do a trial run with a few different fungicides on agar and see which is the most effective.

Stay tuned....

wow... thats increadibly intresting! Next time I have some rot i'll isolate and do a microscopic picture of it :)

awsome work creach!

i had a loph which was grafted onto a peres which suffered from orange rot. once i noticed the the rot, i observed that the damage spread very quickly over the infected area of the loph. an attempt to save the loph was made by cutting the infected tissue off... but unfortunately the "orange" had spread so much that, cutting all of it out would have meant, having nothing left to regraft... so i regrafted the very top section of the loph onto some echinopsis pachanoi, and to my amazement, the thing started growing with an amazing rate!!

meaning orange rot can heal!!

orange rot can heal!!

yeah, i had some Trichocereus tacaquariensis cuttings which were taken during early winter, which got the orange rot. a couple were left as they were but just placed into a little warmer, dryer & better ventilated environment & the orange rot just dried up. after a month the orange colour was still there, it had just become a part of the callouse. it never caused a problem after that. the cutting took took nicely & is doing well.

yeah, i had some Trichocereus tacaquariensis cuttings which were taken during early winter, which got the orange rot. a couple were left as they were but just placed into a little warmer, dryer & better ventilated environment & the orange rot just dried up. after a month the orange colour was still there, it had just become a part of the callouse. it never caused a problem after that. the cutting took took nicely & is doing well.

:) yeah, I have somewhere warmer and drier, unfortunately, my lophs live there... and I dont want to infect them. :)

Me to healed a loph with orange rot by grafting to cylindropuntia