The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
immanuel

Some pics of my mates first grow!

My mate had his cakes in Poor Men Pod's and the mushrooms started to hit the sides. So he had a big plastic box which was not useable at the time of birth, but now is, so he transferred them into the box today. Whilst transferring, he grabbed a shot.

pinnnnslq9.th.jpg

Edited by mardybum

ohhh hehe congrats man !! uh to your friend of course :wink:

mmmm tasty :shroomer:

Yeah I know. I'm so jealous my friend is allowed to grow them.

The two cakes on the right, at the back are Golden Teachers. The other three, including the tall one, are India Orissa's.

Guest Øskorei

I've been waiting to see some of your friend's first & finest. They look great. May I ask why, after so much investigation & hundreds of questions before she started out, that she decided to fruit straight from cakes? From what the Ø gathers from surfing around the place, casing is soooooo easy and produces a more consistent yield. Please tell your friend that she MUST case next time, now that she has 'broken his veil' with the first lot. :innocent_n:

Please keep us all updated with pictures. She must be very proud of himself.. errr, herself. There's still be a nice amount of prints to take for micrscopy purposes once the flushes are over.

Is that some evil black mould I detect? Or am I imagining it?

Either that or could just be bruising, dark bruising.

I've been waiting to see some of your friend's first & finest. They look great. May I ask why, after so much investigation & hundreds of questions before she started out, that she decided to fruit straight from cakes? From what the Ø gathers from surfing around the place, casing is soooooo easy and produces a more consistent yield. Please tell your friend that she MUST case next time, now that she has 'broken his veil' with the first lot. :innocent_n:

Please keep us all updated with pictures. She must be very proud of himself.. errr, herself. There's still be a nice amount of prints to take for micrscopy purposes once the flushes are over.

Haha, forgive all my questions, my friend likes to make sure she knows everything before starting. She decided to go with cakes because, she read cakes are easiest, simplest and best for begginers. The main thing that swung her to go with cakes is that she read that casing's have that extra chance for contamination. Now she realizes, that extra chance is nothing to worry about as long as the right procedures are followed.

She is amazed at how fast they grow, I'll make sure she takes more pics and sends them over to me. She said she has 4 Transkei cakes collonizing at this very moment. She is definately going to case these ones.

No you're not imagining it, but it's not mold thank God. It's bruising from where my friend has put her fingers to pick the cake up. The reason it's so dark is because 1) that cake has been constantly picked up in the same place, whereas the other where only picked up once (apart from the tall one) 2) when she picked it up it almost slipped out of her hand and she had to grab it extra tight thus squeezing harder, bruising more.

Edited by mardybum

Guest Øskorei
it almost slipped out of her hand and she had to grab it extra tight thus squeezing harder, bruising more.

goodness me ! :blush: :blush:

Anyway, good effort, the first time is always the most memorable.

Your friend should try and pick them up from underneath the foil base where possible :wink:

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Yeah, she would have. But they were in poor men pod's, e.g. 2L bottles. If she'd put her hand right down to the bottom of the 2L bottle she would of broken of alot of mushrooms on the way. But now she can handle them without bruising in her new terarrium. She finds this terrarium so much easier than the poor man pod's. Haha.

Any guesses on how long till some of the veils start breaking? She said she wouldn't mind giving a low dose, like 10g fresh a go this weekend if the veils have broken by then.

Edited by mardybum

10g fresh is a pretty freakin' high dose I think. Am pretty sure 3g fresh & 5g dry is more like a standard dose. Anyone care to clarify/confirm this?

The veils should take about a week or less to open on the larger ones would be my guess, depends how warm they are.

im assuming by fresh your meaning the wet wait, fresh as in not dryed, if so 10g fresh is about 1g dry (shrooms 90%water) so yeh thats a conservative starting dose, better to start low and work your way up of course.

5g dry is a high dose for the veterans, BUT shrooms differ in potency so thats why best to start low.

enjoy the ride.

10 grams fresh is only 1 gram dried, which is a very low dose. An average dose is more around 2.5 - 3.5 dried.

But dont under estimate the power of the mushroom, and remember potency can differ and also how it effects person to person.

Have fun. :wink:

Edited by Ayahuascara

Thanks for clarifying fellows.

:)

She sent me another picture. This is 24 hours since the last one.

grownv0.th.jpg

She has another question. Her friend, without telling her, went and booked accomodation at the snow and has already payed for it. She was a bit annoyed because this friend didn't tell her he was booking a trip, and she didn't want to leave her mushrooms alone! What will happen if they are left untouched for a whole week? This has really screwed around with her plans. :angry:

Maybe is she gives them their first flush right befotre she leaves? I.e. pick all mushrooms off, dunk and roll and place in FC, the same day she leaves?

Edited by mardybum

Looking good!! :)

last time i had a similar situation (going away while they were fruiting)

i did what any sane soul would do.. take them with, for the good of the shroom lol

they might really like it up there as long as you keep them cosy

and then you can :shroomer: yeah for sure :lol:

depending on when you leave you could just pick before

yum yum !!!

Hehe. I think i'll tell her to pick everything off before she leaves. Then just re-wash perlite, dunk cakes and let them sit in the FC till she gets back. She says her friend wouldn't appreciated her taking mushrooms on the trip :( Oh well, the snow is something which comes once every few years, she can grow anytime now.

Question. She sent me some pics wondering whether this veil had broken. Looks strange to most pictures of a broken veil, but she can see the spores exposed.

veils1vk4.th.jpg

yeh mardy if the gills are exposed then the veil must be broken. after the viel has broken its remnants remain attched to the stipe (stem) being the annulas.

your friends photo doesnt quite have a typical annulas (ring left on stem) i guess thats what triggered the question.

below photo shows most viels unbroken besides the middle right wich is in the process, as you may have seen with your friends grow.

post-2528-1182565221_thumb.jpg

hope thats even partially relevent to your question.

enjoy the snow mardy, the season has surprised me as the last 2 were far from inspirational. lap it up while its here hey!

take care

end

nice pics man! is ur friend using a heat mat to keep them warm during the winter? Don't cubs need about 25 degrees? I'm guessing your friend would be taking the heatmat with them to snow if theyy're taking it with them?

He's using an electric blanket.

He has some jars almost fully collonized and is going to put them into a casing layer this weekend. Just one question, what sort of container should he use for the casing? He is unsure of what size?? I'm sure we all know those rectangle lunchboxes that one can buy in Big W, would they be suitable? If not, what dimensions should he be looking for, any idea's for cheap containers he might be able to find?

nice pics man! is ur friend using a heat mat to keep them warm during the winter? Don't cubs need about 25 degrees? I'm guessing your friend would be taking the heatmat with them to snow if theyy're taking it with them?

Stay away from heat mats! They don't provide an even heat and will likely stuff things up.

He's using an electric blanket.

He has some jars almost fully collonized and is going to put them into a casing layer this weekend. Just one question, what sort of container should he use for the casing? He is unsure of what size?? I'm sure we all know those rectangle lunchboxes that one can buy in Big W, would they be suitable? If not, what dimensions should he be looking for, any idea's for cheap containers he might be able to find?

Anything that is opaque works fine - and if it isnt opaque, you can wrap some black tape or foil around the base to stopthe light getting in the container (to prevent side pinning).

Yeah, the lunch boxes are see through, she just plans to wrap in duct tape. It's the size she was confused about?

I don't know if it's idea (i think it may be) but i use black metal baking trays from KMart

they'd have to be about 400(w) x 250(d) x 100(h)

they're perfect for the KMart tubs i use for incubator / FC

i'm telling you KMart must be run by myco enthusiasts they're all setup for action :lol:

how much does a single electric blanket cost to run? I'm really interested in using it for growing cacti in the winter, and FOAF wants to possibly grow some legal mushrooms using my blanket too.

Read its wattage rating. Electricity is generally billed in Kilowatt-Hours, or the amount of energy a 1000 watt device uses in 1 hour. You would have to check your provider for their rates. Different charges for peak/off-peak.

If it doesnt have a wattage rating, then it will have a voltage and amp rating. Volts*Amps=Watts.

Edited by gamma.goblin