The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theobromos

Desert Plants

I have just got a littl piece of irrigated land in a desert a small way up in a mountain range in the South of Spain.

Any suggestions for vegetables that grow well in irrigated desert conditions? Any other cash crops that are legal and easy to cultivate and harvest? I am going to have to earn my living from this. I need a quick return now but am considering some more long term projects.

Torsten, could you email me about my adopting some species, if you have any that would enjoy these conditions? Am on the lookout for interesting local stuff. The most interesting so far is Fagonia cretica, which should be producing seed soon, there are a few green pods. I had been hoping to find that on a botanising trip, but it is growing two metres from my room.

I am far away from any Internet cafes so I am afraid I will be incommunicado for a while.

If you can keep a small patch of land for growing pachanoii or other trichocerues spp...... that would be a nice income especially when selling to all the "smart" shops in Holland....you could easily earn a buck..... But this will take some time to accumelate a sustainable amount of cactus.

this would be a 3 to 5 year plan.

Ephedra Major...also from Spain right?!!

Growing medicinal plants...and extracting & then sellingmight be....

beyond that growing vegitables....maybe if you grow exotic vegitables?

this is indeed a good question for Torsten....

By best bet would be entheogens and then sell to all the smart (ethno) shops that are popping up all around Europe. Especially in the Netherlands. Etho business is gaining popularity.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 28 October 2001).]

I agree with Ephedra and Trich being some of the best medium long term crops. Short term is a little difficult, as most arid plants don't grow very fast. I think seed production would be more profitable than herb production. ie you would get a lot more for a few packs of damiana seed possible to harvest from a single plant, than for a kilo of herb that requires a few aquare metres of plants.

Mimosas would also be a good idea. You will need to compare your rainfall to other areas in the world and then see what grows there. Mexico (desert) might be suitable, afghanistan, mountain regions with similar climate, etc.

I'll keep thinking about this to see if I can come up with something special.

isn't there a desert type skullcap that is in demand? it's obscure i realise but if you're the only one farming a type of plant then there might be some earnings in it.

There is supposed to be Ephedra fragilis in this little patch of desert, I´m keeping my eye out but there are lots of leafless shrubs doing ephedra impressions for a laugh.

There is Peganum harmala nearby, I am told.

Scutellaria nana is the desert skullcap that some like to smoke. Nana means small, so it is probably not a bulk crop.

I was thinking of growing chia, the Salvia species grown for their edible nutritious seeds, but have not seen any reference to anyone doing so commercially. Not that I am averse to experimenting but I would like at least some mistakes to learn from wink.gif

There is no rainfall to speak of but we have plenty of irrigation so it is not just arid stuff we can grow. But there is a lot of unirrigated land that could be sown and forgotten. Lagochilus inebrians comes to mind as very suitable for this area but it looks like aubergines for now smile.gif

You could try Echinacea angustifolia. Seems to be quite tollerant of dry hot conditions once established. But you'l be competing with other echinacea farmers.

Then again E. angustifolia is a superior crop to E. violacea? (the other one). Much stronger so you would require less plant bulk for the same effect.

E D

Guest coastalprairie

Suggest being really careful with new plants such as Chia as some may go feral and reek havoc on your dry ecosystem.

Also, I suspect, in the long term, you could make some good cash on Agave for mescal or tequilla production. Yup, I think you have it right about highly productive veggie crops (probably certified organic would be best for added money).

The agaves in Mexico, I hear, are getting some terrible blight and, so, foreign grown stuff will be needed and in high demand some day. Also, could be an important thing to cultivate some off the continent for gene conservation.