The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

eco-organics anyone?

Has anyone had any experience with these products?

My girlfriend wants to introduce the Eco Bokashi Recycling System into our kitchen.

I'm a little skeptical.

I do however like the idea of the following - I'm a big fan of using microbes in our everyday life. food etc.

OrganiCure™ EM

Home

An activated solution of EM Mother Culture, OrganiCure EM Home is excellent for use around the home - for spraying showers and baths to remove and prevent moulds, to cleaning and dishwashing. It is an excellent innoculant for septic toilet systems, and can be used to prevent and control odours in sinks, toilets and pet areas. Use also to wash down benches and sinks. You can even add it to the bathwater when bathing pets to eliminate that pet odour, introduce helpful micobes to your pet.

In all cases, the beneficial microbes in OrganiCure are always out-competing disease-causing microbes, and all without any harsh or dangerous chemicals.

http://www.eco-organics.com.au/

Guest Øskorei

Hi there Watertrade, I saw one of these devices (the little one) being flogged at the Marrickville Markets a year or two back (around when Rimbo had his ethno stall there) and I spoke at length to the girl about it. At the time, I thought it was a good idea for composting for people who live in apartments, although I considered the system WAY overpriced, and the 'add-on' accessories (ie the stuff you put in - whetgerm?) to be even more ludicrous. But the idea itself was great, and one I should consider building now that your post has reminded me - I could do it for a fraction of the price they are selling the device for.

As to the magical properties of the resultant product, it's no more nor less on par with other systems such as conventional compost drums or worm farms. In fact Id think that worm farm refuse (liquids & solids) is probably more beneficial, if one has the space.

The Bokashi stinks of new-age marketing on a concept that's not at all groundbreaking as far as composting systems are concerned........

Thats kinda what I though about it too.

the actual bin thing would be pretty easy to make but could you culture up the 'beneficial microbes'...

they claim there is more than just normal compost microfauna/flora.

Guest Øskorei
...could you culture up the 'beneficial microbes'...

they claim there is more than just normal compost microfauna/flora.

Well I didn't look through that link you posted too much, but I remember the Bokashi lass at these markets was selling basically a wheat-or-similar 'additive' that, when pressed by myself and my best mate (who is an actual bio-chem guy) that the 'secret weapon' was pretty standard stuff that only STIMULATED growth of the good bacteria etc when sprinkled over the composting meduim, but didn't really contain essential microbes as such.

Man, even the actual device itself is overpriced, even if you used what they suggest to stimulate action. That said, I think it's a really great idea, so please no-one flame me for doubting it, I just think the concept theyre selling is way way overpriced when the method should be free-information.

WT if you're seriously planning on building one instead of your GF buying this thing, please let me know, and I will perhaps join you in an online build-tek, so everyone can benefit.

WT if you're seriously planning on building one instead of your GF buying this thing, please let me know, and I will perhaps join you in an online build-tek, so everyone can benefit.

cool, I will let you know if I go through with it :) I would probably just start by trying the refill innoculated grain *info below* for $15 and a free plastic tub from woolies :)

Eco Bokashi Refiller 3 kg bags

Eco Bokashi - the active ingredient for the Eco Bokashi recycling systems - is made from crushed Australian grains, and fermented with organically certified microbes. Also available in 1kg resealable stand-up pouches, which allows you to expel air after each use, or a 15 kg plastic drum (please FreeCall 1800 035 007 to order these sizes).

For use with the Eco Bokashi bucket, but has a range of other uses around the home and garden.

Has a 6 month shelf life, if kept airtight.

Price $15.00

Guest Øskorei

That's the scamming shit. Bit of SR flour with some weevil-larvae :) Just kidding (kinda) but there must be a better way thnak their 'secret recipe'.