The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Are these Edible or poisonous??

Found growing under Marri redgums and Agonis flexuosa near rotting wood pile. I've eaten ones from my property before and havn't died. These look edible too, just wanna make sure before. The top is very black, but could just be the growing conditions. Top of pin seems very flat compared to a golfball like feild shroom.

th_09331_DSC04218_122_830lo.JPG th_09337_DSC04219_122_1141lo.JPG th_09343_DSC04220_122_427lo.JPG

Looks like Agaricus augustus, which are edible and very nice.

Judging by that annulus & if the cap has concentric circles of scales I'd say yep you've got yourself some A.augustus - 'The Prince'. Lucky you!

We've been gorging out on the horse mushroom bigtime here when we can find them among the yellow stainers. The damn things are taking over. :ana:

Certainly been a fantastic year for shrooms so far, let's hope the rains keep coming. :shroomer:

when we can find them among the yellow stainers. The damn things are taking over. :ana:

Yeah the fuckers are everywhere round here too!

I had a feed of mushies a week or so ago... they were stinky like Y. stainers but didnt go yellow till I cooked em.

but I cooked them in butter so who knows? :scratchhead:

I didn't get sick at all, but their odour was just like them.

Hey Naja, are you gonna whip a bit out of one an do a culture?

If it is A.augustus i'm sure there'd be people who'd want to grow it.

It looks bloody delicious to me,

but then again, I'd proly eat yellow fuckin stainers an not know the difference! :rolleyes:

My green patches are prone to largeish outbreaks of C. molybdites.... bastards. The citrus orchard gets A. phalloides. When is monsanto bringing out a selective fungicide? :drool2:

Apart from shaggies and inkies, field mushies and the odd horse shroom (not real common) about the only blatant edible around here is woodears. Not bad if you're into chewing...well....ears.

I had a feed of mushies a week or so ago... they were stinky like Y. stainers but didnt go yellow till I cooked em.

but I cooked them in butter so who knows?

I didn't get sick at all, but their odour was just like them.

Yeah I've eaten them too with no problems. They had some expert on the news the other night (she was sitting in front of a microscope so she must know what she's talking about ;) )

saying only 10% of the population have trouble with them but the smell released when cooking them is enough to make you lose your appetite.

Apart from shaggies and inkies, field mushies and the odd horse shroom (not real common) about the only blatant edible around here is woodears. Not bad if you're into chewing...well....ears.

When you say "shaggies" do you mean Shaggy Parasols/Macrolepiota rachodes, now Chlorophyllum brunneum? I'm pretty sure that's what's popping up around here now. Have you tried them?

The ones pictures above smell absolutely wrong, almost like a petrol, solvent smell. Even if they are not poisonous I bet they'd be disgusting.

I picked a few today, mmmmmmmmm. There is sometimes an "unpleasant" smell, but it isnt that strong at all, they do taste good though, very good.

Do yours have a strong smell or is it only when ya get ya nose right in there and have a big whiff?

Yeah, Only when u stick ya nose right in there. Tell me they arn't poisonous and I'll try em and see. If I die, I blame u :P

nah not the Macrolepiota, only one of those I tend to see around is the rhacodes, which tends to look too much like the green gills to bother about... I meant Coprinus comatus.... tasty stuff, can't handle much cooking at all and you get sick as a dog if you try getting pissed in the next few days... but they're tasy and free lol. Coprinus atramentarius is much the same, but can handle even less cooking.

Yeah, Only when u stick ya nose right in there. Tell me they arn't poisonous and I'll try em and see. If I die, I blame u :P

hahahaha, im cookin some up now Naja, just cook em up ya paranoid freak ya dunno what ya missin.