The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zu

Coleus

Has anyone come across any decent info on Coleus blumei?

The plant seems to be in abundance in Perth and I've found several reference to it in my readings but nothing concrete regarding properties, effects or effective consumption.

The Lycaeum has a little info but still nothing very helpful.

Guest reville

Really?! I havent seen any - then again i probably dont know what it looks like -

where are they? Any in public plantings wink.gif

Speaking of which - go to the Kings pk conservatory if you can - its terribly neglected but what has survived is very interesting - many native foods and medicines

Also torsten theres a species of alstonia there from the NW of WA , different to yours

How do you veg prop alstonias? next time i go there ill write down all the species

they had attalaya hemiglauca too but it died

I also rescued some Trichocereus spachianus and Opuntia fulgida pups whih are doing rather well

If you go check out the welwitschia (?), the primitive strapleaf plant fom the namib desert

Guest wira

Look down the forum thread list a bit, there is a discussion on Coleus that might answer your questions [or give you more questions wink.gif]

Reville,

alstonias are a bit hard to propagate if they are latexy and thick stemmed. The same gerneral theory applies though, coarse sharp sand and a little bit of humidity. Cut the stem at a steep angle and if really thick, fray the end a bit to expose more cambium. Cuttings should be fairly short - one node in sand, the other to grow.

Although they are mostly rainforest plants, they don't like too much humidity and frequently rot if too humid and wet. Spring summer only.

Originally posted by reville:

Really?! I havent seen any - then again i probably dont know what it looks like -

where are they? Any in public plantings wink.gif

Bunnings in Balcatta is selling them for $1.50. They also have seeds.

Speaking of which - go to the Kings pk conservatory if you can - its terribly neglected but what has survived is very interesting - many native foods and medicines

Thanks, sounds interesting.