The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gecko

Edible mycorrhizal spp. -any sightings in Vic. lately

I'm wanting to go pick some Lactarius deliciosus (or L. sanguifluus if possible) in Victoria.

I'm in the north near Murray R., so would make a special trip to get them.

If anyone could confirm any sightings anywhere between say, Bendigo and Melbourne, that'd be a great help.

Suillus spp.?... Tricholoma spp.?

thanx :wink:

Went for a hunt for the saffrons on the weekend. My buddy and I ended up with a shopping bag full. Looked as if the season was coming to an end, lots of dead ones and they weren't reaching full size. Not in the VIC area. Its would be colder down there so I think you may have missed the boat maybe.

Thanks Harry,

anyone else...?

around Mt Macedon maybe...?

The field mushies have only just started poppin up around here, went for a search the other day but the rains have only fallen recently so no cigar in regards to the other edibles. Wont be far off though, it will just be a shorter season.

....i better not speak too soon but, we still could do with some more rainfall.

Well, I went for a drive on tues 8th may to Mt Macedon and had a look at Dicksonia Rare Plants Nursery.

What an impressive collection of species there, unbeleiveble.

Coincidently, I saw Stephen Ryan (owner of D.R.P nursery) on Gardeing Australia tonight.

so for anyone interested in rare plants (mainly from cold climates) check it out.

I had a look around in a patch of pines a few kms south of Woodend for some mushies.

No Lactarius but I did happen to find some cut stem butts of slippery jacks.

I reckon I was late by about 1-2 days, but I kept searching.

I eventually found enough for a couple of feeds of Suillus granulatus.

It's funny, the people you meet in a pine forest...another story.

I ended up taking all the stem butts I could find so that I could inoculate some pines closer to home.

While at the nursery I managed to pick up a pot of Ferula communis var. glabra.

Its just like fennel but about twice or three times as big. Its going to grow in my garden to be a host

to Plurotus eryngii as it dies.

Unfortunately there were no Eryngium spp. there but I know where to get them now and

I'll use them for the same thing.

Well worth the trip.

Well, I went for a drive on tues 8th may to Mt Macedon and had a look at Dicksonia Rare Plants Nursery.

What an impressive collection of species there, unbeleiveble.

Coincidently, I saw Stephen Ryan (owner of D.R.P nursery) on Gardeing Australia tonight.

so for anyone interested in rare plants (mainly from cold climates) check it out.

I had a look around in a patch of pines a few kms south of Woodend for some mushies.

No Lactarius but I did happen to find some cut stem butts of slippery jacks.

I reckon I was late by about 1-2 days, but I kept searching.

I eventually found enough for a couple of feeds of Suillus granulatus.

It's funny, the people you meet in a pine forest...another story.

I ended up taking all the stem butts I could find so that I could inoculate some pines closer to home.

While at the nursery I managed to pick up a pot of Ferula communis var. glabra.

Its just like fennel but about twice or three times as big. Its going to grow in my garden to be a host

to Plurotus eryngii as it dies.

Unfortunately there were no Eryngium spp. there but I know where to get them now and

I'll use them for the same thing.

Well worth the trip.

Just read this thread. I used to live in Bendigo, and would go shrooming in the pine forests of Mt....Jeez, what's it's name, near harcourt, Mt Alexander. Might be a bit late, but the seasons aren't rigid.

Travelling home from Melbourne (via the scenic route) on sunday I stopped for 5min near Daylesford to check out a pine forest.

I found 2 Lactarius deliciosa, lots of Amanita muscaria, 1 small Suillus luteus and heaps of about 7 other species

all growing within a stones throw of the road.

The stem butts of the milk caps have been placed in direct contact with

the actively growing roots of some Aleppo Pines that I potted on today...fingers crossed

I had the milk caps for breakfast cooked In butter cream sauce, pine nuts and Parsley.

First time I've had them, they're a nice mild , slightly spicey flavour.

I like the texture. Unlike any other mushroom I've had before.

My piss turned orange by around 11 o'clock :o

found a dozen or so very decent milkies out ringwood way yesterday, and literally kilos of agaricus silvaticus.. a few older suillus but too soggy. was thinking of checking out some bigger pine plantations out near bendigo in the next few days

last time i grilled my milkies with butter garlic and thyme in the gills and a good chunk of brie on top. and it was good.

got prints (L. deliciosus) if anyone wants em

Not far from Bendigo and Daylesford is Trentham Falls. Plenty of goldies, and a waterfall you can walk under into a cave. Good camp fires amongst the gums.