Sign in to follow this  
ajna

Customs bust $37m MDMA import

Police, Customs bust $37m drug import

April 23, 2007 12:05pm

Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

AN Israeli national has been charged with trying to import the synthetic drug MDMA, with a street value of $37 million, into Australia inside three hot water tanks.

About 113kg of MDMA powder, usually found in ecstasy, was discovered inside 172 tennis ball cans packed in three of six solar hot water systems in a cargo shipment.

Customs officers at Port Botany spotted the cans during an X-ray last month of the container, sent from Israel.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers substituted the drug with another substance then monitored the cargo's delivery to a warehouse in Artarmon, in Sydney's north.

A 46-year-old man from Bellingen, on the mid-north coast, was arrested yesterday, police and customs said.

Police raided the warehouse, a property in Marrickville, in Sydney's inner-west, a car in the inner-city and a Melbourne house, where officers seized $25,000 in cash.

The man was charged with one count of importing a commercial quantity of border-controlled drug, namely MDMA and one count of attempting to possess a commercial quantity of a border-controlled drug.

He is due in Coffs Harbour Local Court today.

AFP Sydney office manager David Stewart said the joint operation prevented a significant amount of a dangerous drug from making it onto Australian streets.

"Depending on the purity of the powder, which will be determined by further AFP forensic testing, it could have been used to manufacture at least 1.2 million tablets of ecstasy," Mr Stewart said.

"This means the street value of this powder could be worth more than $37 million," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21604289-1702,00.html

ahhh, good to see the mossad training beeing used for a good purpose :rolleyes:

anyone know what they're likely to cop for that?

Police, Customs bust $37m drug import

About 113kg of MDMA powder,

"Depending on the purity of the powder, which will be determined by further AFP forensic testing, it could have been used to manufacture at least 1.2 million tablets of ecstasy," Mr Stewart said.

"This means the street value of this powder could be worth more than $37 million," he said.

They've just invented these numbers.

113 kg/1.2 million doses = 0.094 grams per dose (9.4 mg)

Where a standard dose of MDMA is around 100mg.

Then, if we take these 1.2 million 'doses' and see what they'd be selling for if the whole lot is worth $37 million,

(37 000 000/1 200 000) we get $30.8333 each. Why the hell would they state that is the street price of a dose? Pills can often sell for more ($50 used to be common when I was interested), but even so, why not just make it $30 to round it off?

Cops suck.

I hate to see this kind of thing. Every time they make a bust the price goes up. all the fuckers are doing is making more money for those who sucessfully import it and make consumers pay more. All it does it make it worse for everyone.

Check your maths. 0.094g is actually 94mg, which is pretty close to 100.

Then, if we take these 1.2 million 'doses' and see what they'd be selling for if the whole lot is worth $37 million,

(37 000 000/1 200 000) we get $30.8333 each. Why the hell would they state that is the street price of a dose? Pills can often sell for more ($50 used to be common when I was interested), but even so, why not just make it $30 to round it off?

yeah, that's a bit odd. They probably used a previous figure or maybe they have a table that they extrapolate from. After all you wouldn't want some dumbass media liason officer to make serious mathematical errors for a press release and as you see even someone with a scientific background can screw these numbers up pretty bad :wink:

as you see even someone with a scientific background can screw these numbers up pretty bad :wink:

yeah, the funniest thing is I actually went over that in my head about 3 times to make sure I wasn't making that mistake :rolleyes:. It was past my bedtime.