The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
immanuel

germinating psychotria viridis?

I was wondering what the best way of germinating psychotria viridis would be? I live slightly north of sydney, so I'm not sure how the climate would be for them, but i'm willing to create my own mini greenhouse chamber or something similar to keep the humidity up. I've read alot of mixed reports over the internet, some say grow with potting mix or seed raising mix, others say vermiculite, some say to grow in zip lock bags, or put in direct sunlight, others say to grow in the open with only indirect sunlight. So in my area, which method would be the best to follow to germinate these seeds? Thanks for any help.

I propagated some with a coir peat/vermiculite/sand mixture, this was in the Blue Mountains and it grew well and quickly for a while, as soon as winter hit though, it perished. It was done in a hothouse.

You do realise Psychotria viridis is from South America and is not an Australian native?

Get a rooted cut seeds can take 6 months or more to germ.

u would probly need some sort of greenhouse for humidity & temps.

mine are in 1/4 coco coir 3/4 potting mix & are doin fine.

seeds can take 6 months or more to germ.

From memory mine only took about 1 month to germinate. This was a long time ago though, so can't remember correctly. I have heard they are a very challenging species to germinate. I had no troubles, as I said though they died in the climate I attempted to grow them in.

I agree with shruman though, buy a rooted cutting or even an established plant. I have seen them at the SAB store and there is even one going on SnS at the moment.

EDIT: Also, probably not the best time of year to be trying to germinate seeds, especially Psychotria viridis.

Edited by tonic

I propagated some with a coir peat/vermiculite/sand mixture, this was in the Blue Mountains and it grew well and quickly for a while, as soon as winter hit though, it perished. It was done in a hothouse.

You do realise Psychotria viridis is from South America and is not an Australian native?

I do. Can't hurt to try. I've already got the seeds. So I'm just gunna try plant them in a half verm / half seed raising mix. Could I use a terranium to keep humidity high? Just as one would with Mushrooms? What kind of humidity should they be kept at?

What's the best temp. to keep them at? I can use an aquarium heater underneath to keep them warm.

Edited by mardybum

Yeah why not! its not as if its gonna become some monster weed or anything....

I dont recommend you put vermiculite into your mix as its shrivels and makes the mix less porous, use perlite and coco peat 50/50 or whatever (i dont like using sand).

Sprinkle your seed over the top of your mix, then shake a thin layer or vermiculite over the top just covering your seed.

if you keep the seed around 20 degrees they'll come up fine :) fresh seed is always the best. But be patient some rainforest plant seed does take a little while.

Was wondering what a psychotria viridis thread was doing in Natives.

Still am. Why did you start the topic here Mardy?

That is why I posted the above comment Harry, a good question yours.....one I am stiil wondering about the answer to.

Peculiar indeed.

:rolleyes:

oh shit. how dumb am i. sorry when you said that i thought you were referring to the fact that australias climate is not like south america's. i have no idea why i posted it here, probably since this is where i get any info on seed germination or plant info, so naturally i posted it here.

Guest homoGenius

I planted three Psychotria leaves about three months ago if not more.

In the last two two weeks I've found 4 little plants growing up the back of the leaves! The main plant they came from died due to a fall from a shelf that it never recovered from so these are a new lease of life for the plant.

Heat and humidity is the key.

not native but who cares? were here now, someone can move it if they like.

i got heaps of clones coming up in the last coupleof months, if you plant the whole leaf you'll get one...but if you cut the leaf in half and plant the top you'll get one or two from each vein!

you gotta get to know how much light and water they want.....but yeah heat and humidity is the key.

If cut the leaf on the horizontal then cut or crack the leaf on the vertical every cm or 2 u will get new plants at every crack, someone at the nook reckons they took a root cutting (a lil piece of root) & its now growing a new plant if this is true it should be the fastest way to propagate.

I don't have any leaves though. I'll see how the seeds go, I got them in a little plastic container, in my room, which im spraying with mist everyday to keep them humid. I'm leaving transaculent lid of the container, slightly offset and letting them sit on my bed next to the windowsill in the daytime, where they get lots of indirect sunlight. Hopefully all goes well, but if not hopefully I'll be able to find csme suttings somewhere, because apparently they are much easier than seeds.

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone.

Edited by mardybum