The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrBumpy

Khat

I was reading an article in an old National Geographic on Yemen, it mentioned several times the use of the drug called qat. I'm assuming this is the same as Khat, whos botanical name escapes me.

I then remembered a topic on a forum, I think it was lycaeum, that was inquiring about khat, and the user got the reply "if of course, you live in a country where chewing khat is legal". So that question arised in my mind

Is chewing Khat illegal in Australia? anyone know?

-bumpy

As with most plants, the plant is actually legal, but the harvested or otherwise prepared plant material is not legal in most states.

This is a funny one though, as we are supposed to assume that every constituent listed in the state drug act also applies to the plants that contains it and can only be permitted on a license basis by the the attourney generals dept.

With khat this is contradicted by the fact that it is the Dept of housing that can license its use. nothing is mentioned in the drug act about this though, so essentially the housing dept license is invalid. Housing dept you may ask -- well so did I. Apparently they deal with matters of ethnic and cultural problems. Licenses are granted to some Somalis to import the fresh stuff to allow them to fulfill their cultural needs.

I wonder, does that mean english ravers can import their own eccys and dutch people can bring in Amsterdam skunk -- well, apparently not.

BTW, the botanical name for khat is Catha edulis.

dept of housing?? licences for somalis to import khat?? what a weird and wonderful world ...

happiness

earthalchemist

Guest reville

Ive got a few questions about catha

1)whats her growth rate under good conditions?say by age 1,2,3

2)any comments on preffered treatment ie fertiliser regimes ,soil pH

3)I think i may have found a really big one

I first saw this plant about 4 years ago when a friend showed me theirs.I was later at a girlfiends grandmothers place and she had the biggest fatarse bush by her backdoor that looked just like it (and tasted like it)so i sent it away to the friend and they said it was the one biggrin.gif

..anyway i want to go back and ask for some

when is the best time to get cuttings..

and suckers - of which there are many..

4)when should i expect seeds on khat?

>1)whats her growth rate under good conditions?say by age 1,2,3

1-about 30cm, wimpy and soft.

2-about 60cm, woody at base and leathery leaves. They start to taste real bitter.

3-about 1m and bushing out very nicely. On hot days it will have the typical enol aroma.

>2)any comments on preffered treatment ie fertiliser regimes ,soil pH

Don't know about pH, but this is a real heavy feeder. A cup full of dynamic lifter every months during growth will not be wasted.

> when is the best time to get cuttings..

cuttings only when they are growing rapidly. the cutting will start to grow in the medium long before it has any roots, so don't go sneaking a peek. Just wait till roots emerge from the holes in the pot. Don't cover the cutting. Cut the leaves in half and remove about half of them (ie 25% leaf surface left) and put them in direct sun.

>and suckers - of which there are many..

Also best at peak growth in summer, but these are more forgiving and could be taken any time other than the dormant period in winter.

4)when should i expect seeds on khat?

Not. There aee mature plants in all climate zones in ausralia and no one has observed any seed production. It may be self infertile, as the plant flower profusely, but don't set any seed. I have a second seed grown plant in its second year, so maybe next year it will flower together with the other strain. And then there is alwasy that mystery super khat 9the light green one), which flowers profusely, but doesn't set seed either.