The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rkundalini

Acacia longifolia

Does anyone have any further info on extractions of the phyllodes of this species? Found some on a roadside today, didn't have the heart to rob them of their miniscule amounts of bark so I collected quite a lot of phyllodes. The report of HCN and aboriginal use as a fish poison is a bit of a worry, though.

Guest Pigdog

If it's teh same plant I've seen so many times on Bush Tuckerman and similar programs, I don't think oyu'd have to warry about poisoning, since, from what recollection I have from these programs, the plant works by depriving the fish of oxygen in the water or something, so they pass out and thus float to the surface.

I could be wrong here, so don't flame me too much people smile.gif

--Pigdog

did you have any success with the extraction?

alkaloid content reports i've seen for a.longifolia have been inconclusive. it's far more common than a.obtusifolia (a species whose entheogenic credentials seem well established), so it'd be cool if it was just as tripty.

HI all, my gnomes some times ago tried an extraction on aome a.longifolia bark, Ther result was kinda inconclusive. My gnomes back then didnt quite know what they ere dooing, and they managed to get a small, almost insignificant amount of chalky orangy compound. This was never bioassyed. The phylodes were not tested by them. Im sure they will get back to that species as they are quite compentent at getting results from a.obtusifolia.(also got the same weird chalky substance from a.victorea. Better extraction is needed. Should be a metter of time and They will let everyone know.

D

The phyllodes are still in the solvent. The gnomes couldn't find a decent way to pulverize them efficiently so most of them went in whole.. they thought they'd better give them a nice long soak.

Does anyone know whether the HCN or cyanogenic glycosides that produce it will be destroyed or left behind in the extraction process, or how to test for their presence, or a ref that describes a test for HCN? I can look in the Merck for HCN itself so I guess I'm mainly looking for info on the glycosides.

I found a big specimen that had been knocked over... I might go back for some karma-free bark and let the gnomes have a go at extracting that too.

[This message has been edited by rkundalini (edited 07 June 2000).]

Hi rk, apparently the HCN and other nasties are out of 'phase' when exracting, eg they will be discarded with other layers through the process. anyone out there can explain this a liitle better perhaps. Cant see a problem there...

D