The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Freakin Out and Flashbacks

The glossalia was strange. In flashback, it was like flicking a perceptual switch that would let me "speak" it with my inner voice, like a clickety-pop-zwang-a-loo. That sounds psily, but it feels hard-wired, part of your deep-language-function, as if you're hearing the mechanism behind the words and grammar. Like all things mushroom, it's very difficult to put in words.

Man, that is some weird shit right there - were you concious at the time? I mean, did you still have regular functioning, or was it trance like?

No, not trance-like. Conscious, and otherwise all functions normal. Just an echo of what happened in there, that I could hear but got fainter with time.

I view flashbacks purely as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

This is a very interesting way of looking at it Azz - and I agree with you completely - a psychologically traumatic (even disturbing) event does leave the person feeling messed up afterwards, no different from a war veteran. It is an interesting comparison though, because people assume that these things (drugs) are nice and pleasant, otherwise they wouldnt be used - unlike the bloody battlefields of war, which are reknown for their terrifying stuff. But both seem to leave scars on the mind that have the ability to last a lifetime - something that isnt really thought about enough.

The difference is that psychedelics supposedly have the ability to open the doors of perception, to clear the mist around the many questions in life and to break on through to the other side. The PTSD is just one of the prices that may need to be payed in order to see what is behind the blinders...