The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Serpent

Vermiculite and BRF substrate

A friend of mine is making some mushroom substrate from the classic brown rice flow and vermiculite for the fun of it. Water was added carefully to the verm to the point of saturation (lots and lots of stirring to make sure its all equal) with just a little bit of watter running out when tilted.

But once he added the BRF the mixture is now quite dry, pictures of other substrates also look dry. But he carnt really tell. Its just that a little more than planned BRF was added.

When a particle of verm covered in BRF is squished a tiny amount of watter comes out. I would get a pic but camera is broken :(

J.]

DW PLEASE IGNORE ME :P

Edited by GiR

Sounds perfect to me mate. :)

Yep I agree.

If you still think it is a lil dry just spray with water and mix. Repeat until the mix has darkened slightly. If it starts to stick together like dow you have made it to wet.

What I usually do is add about half the volume of water to vermiculi, mix in well and let soak up for 5 then drain off the excess water. Then I add the BRF and mix all the way through. At this point it looks a lil dry so what I do is spray it with water and mix, spray, mix until all the BRF coated verm granules look nice and damp.

A tad to dry is better than a tad to wet.

cool, well only 5 out of 8 jars survived the pressure cook O.O wasn't expecting that, maybe one or two. (but i am a newbie) they were saturated. Im using tin foil lids, half of them i used tape to secure the lid down. Which didn't seem to help, the jars on the bottom are the ones which stuffed... Any ideas how to stop this next time? (I did all 8 at the same time, its a big PC :P ) I followed teks. religiously

J

Edited by GiR

I assume you were laying the jars down. If you can stand them up it is better, prolly won't get as many done at once but does this really matter? Just do 2 runs. What kind of jars are you using?

When I do grain I have to lay my jars down because they are to tall for my PC. What I do is lay an empty spice jar down and add enough water so it almost level with the spice jar then I lay 2 grain jars down with the lid resting on the spice jar. This suspends the hole in the jar above the water line. I then lay another jar on top sort of in between the other jars and I can just fit the lid on. I can do 3 550ml jars like this at once.

Each PC will be a different size and the jars used a different shape so you will need to play around until you get something that works. A better idea would be when you buy pasta sauce, get ones that fit in your PC standing upright.

Gluck

They were put in up right, the glasses are some cheapies picked up at crazy clarks. Just under 1 cup. Was really annoyed because a trial run with just sand and it worked fine. (Although it did only run for 10mins, these were put in for 40mins)

How much water did you add to the PC? Did you stack the glasses upright on top of each other?

For a 40 min run you will only need about an inch of water.

water was 1/2 up the glasses (bottom ones), they were stacked on top of each other (alternating (ie one glass stood on two bottoms ones.). Hmm so maybe thats the problem

Edited by GiR

An inch is all you need for a 40 min run. Actually an inch is all I use for an hour run.

When the water boils the level raises a bit and it can get in any where when under pressure. Drop the level a lil and you should be fine.

Well its been a couple of days and it seems they are all germinating :) one has been quarantined due to a suspect looking spot, but still growing.

post-2632-1176173234_thumb.jpg

Well its been a couple of days and it seems they are all germinating :) one has been quarantined due to a suspect looking spot, but still growing.

looking good there GiR :)

Looks ideal - Good luck...

Make sure you keep those jars in the dark!

Turn them upside down after about a week, this will encourage them to continue colonising. Also when they are about 95% colonised, undo the foil then half remove the cakes from the glasses and then put them back in and re-tighten the foil again. This will encourage them to pin. Using this method if you time it right you can get them to pin as they finish colonising to a couple of days after they finish. Meaning you can go from birthing to harvest in a week in stead of 2 to 3 weeks :).

Damn it! Double post :BANGHEAD2::blush:

Edited by Harry

They are normally in a cupboard so they are pretty much out of light, will do harry :) Thanks

Here is a pic of a glass that was pumped at about 90%. See the pins already :)

med_gallery_2785_4_138704.jpg

Image is a lil dodge due to being taken with a phone.

Was a little early to pump but the jar had stalled so wasn't much other option. Its almost finished now so it'll only take about 4 day for this one to fully fruit from birthing.

Here is a pic of a glass that was pumped at about 90%. See the pins already :)

Image is a lil dodge due to being taken with a phone.

Was a little early to pump but the jar had stalled so wasn't much other option. Its almost finished now so it'll only take about 4 day for this one to fully fruit from birthing.

looks beautiful harry :drool2:

Couple of jars are at about 80-90%, should i turn them upside down even if there still going strong? Also wont takening them out of the jars when there not fully colonized introduce contams?

Couple of jars are at about 80-90%, should i turn them upside down even if there still going strong? Also wont takening them out of the jars when there not fully colonized introduce contams?

It would be more dodgy doing it now than at 100% but since the majority of your cakes have colonised that much, it would make it hard for a competing mould or contam to take hold.

But I'd recommend your patience before birthing.

Peace,

KlUe

nice work man. just on the intial glass's breaking, did you put somthing between the bottom of the PC and the jars? the excess heat from the steel base plate can crack the glass, some people use foil, tea towels, etc etc. should stop further breakages.

Yeah I'd say flip em. this is the point where they can start to slow down. Not all of them will slow but some may. See how they go for a couple of days flipped and then pump them. You could even wait till they are finished just to be on the safe side since it is your first attempt. Whatever you decide pump them, don't fully birth them, they will pin heavier and quicker if you pump. Check them daily, you prolly will anyway seeing its your first grow, and when you see pins birth them.

Pumping will encourage pins in 4 days to a week I have found, which is quicker than a week to 2 weeks if birthed. You also get these crazy pin sets. I had pins forming on pins. Makes for some really bizzare slow motion ballae as the pins twist and grow around and through each other. Really COOL! :lol:

Best of luck GiR

well decided to pump one of my jars that has has surface collenesation for 2 days. Probably only do it to that one for an experiment. All except one have lots of think rizons (what ever t hey are called) ropes every were. Which is taking its time to fully collenize (one of the ones were I injected into the center of the cake because i had spores left over :P ) Also they have all shrunken HEAPS, more than what i was expecting.

Aswell as moving the jars into a warmer spot, temps range from 25-27now instead of just above 20.

Edited by GiR

Good one :)

This will show you the difference in pinning time between birthed and pumped for sure!

Best of luck :lol: