The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
immanuel

Acacia Obtusifolia on Central Coast?

Hello again. My gnome just finished and decided to start collecting Obtusifolia material. He wonders if anyone knows of places where he may find it on the Central Coast. Any links which may provide descriptions of Obtusifolia are also very helpful as my gnome is inexperienced with this tree.

Thanks for any help, my gnome appreciates it.

Edited by manuel

Well, after a bit of research, doesn't seem to be any on the coast. Anyone know where the closest location would be, from where my gnome lives? He has heard the Blue Mountains have a few, but talked to a guy who scoped it out around Christmas time and said there are only young trees left now because of the bushfires.

Parts of the Blue Mountains, such as around the Mt Victoria area, have more than a few... However it is quite right from my observations that the trees there are relatively young in comparison to other areas due to consistant bushfires in the blue mountains which is to be expected considering that most Acacia seeds require scarification (the hot water treatment usually) to germinate. Depending on your motives for seeking Acacia obtusifolia I think that due to the environment and conditions there it's not the right place to seek bark (from what I've seen) as the trees are generally more spindly and thin perhaps due to lower rainfall, higher\dryer heat and different light exposure compared to other regions of Australia where A. obtusifolia grows in abundance.

This was after the last big bushfires up there had just happened and in patches where the fire did not reach.

I have heard that there are populations of Acacia obtusifolia around a certain lush and bweatiful national park around the Gloucester, but can't verify as I haven't been up there looking.

Lol, and that guy would be you :) . Thanks for the info, sad about the trees in the Blue Mountains. If i'm going to make the trip somewhere, I want to be sure there's a large amount of mature trees there and the fact that blue mountain obtusifolia's are thin and spindly turns me off. I suppose i'll just have to find a location where other have verified their abundance and plan a trip down there.

you could just use the phyllodes instead!

some people think they are useless, but hey, they are better than nothing.

What sort of alkaloid content do the phyllodes have? I contacted greening australia and even they knew no locations of the obtusifolia on the central coast.

PH - Apparantly a mix I tried was made from young phyllodes and I am uncertain whether it had any bark extract in it..... it was most definitely active.

Phyllodes are far from useless comparing well with the bark for alkaloid content. Certainly seems to me much more sustainable than utilising bark.