The Corroboree
Big George

Importing Bhut Jolokia Chilli Seeds

There's just something warm and fuzzy about growing the biggest / baddest variety possible. :lol:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/57132.html

Bhut Jolokia comes in at 1,001,304 Scoville heat units, a measure of hotness for a chili. It's nearly twice as hot as Red Savina, the variety it replaces as the hottest.

By comparison, a New Mexico green chili contains about 1,500 Scoville units; an average jalapeno measures at about 10,000.

The Bhut Jolokia variety has potential as a food additive in the packaged food industry, Bosland said. It could be pickled while green, dehydrated and used as seasoning. Because the heat is so concentrated, food manufacturers would save money because they'd use less.

"This isn't something you'd pickle whole and eat, but it could replace dehydrated jalapeno as an additive," Bosland said.

A member of NMSU's Chile Pepper Institute who was visiting India sent Bhut Jolokia seeds to NMSU for testing in 2001. The plant doesn't produce fruit easily, so it took a couple of years to get enough for field testing, Bosland said.

He then grew Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina and habanero peppers under controlled settings and found that Bhut Jolokia had significantly higher Scoville ratings. Those findings were confirmed by two independent laboratories.

My question is...

Is there a local source of these?

Or

If I order from overseas, am I likely to run into any hassles with customs or quarantine?

There's just something warm and fuzzy about growing the biggest / baddest variety possible. :lol:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/57132.html

My question is...

Is there a local source of these?

Or

If I order from overseas, am I likely to run into any hassles with customs or quarantine?

Funny to say this, I recieved some from a UK seed seller today. Naga Jolokia (same thing) Took less than 5 days to get it in the mail too :)

Cost me about $10 for 20 seeds inc. postage and came with extensive cultivation info, so thought i'd give it a go.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20-x-Naga-Jolokia-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

KlUe

WARNING. You are advised to wear gloves when handling these seeds.

Hahahhahaha!!!!!

And don't scratch your balls or rub your eyes.

I am cautious about buying things on ebay. Particularly after the fake Kratom of a few years ago.

There are a few dedicated chilli pepper sites in the UK that seem to guarantee their products are genuine, etc..

I'd feel safer buying from somewhere like that, or shaman-australis, etc. At least you know who your dealing with to a degree.

Keep us posted on how your plants go mate, I am pretty keen to hear your progress!

Hahahhahaha!!!!!

And don't scratch your balls or rub your eyes.

I am cautious about buying things on ebay. Particularly after the fake Kratom of a few years ago.

There are a few dedicated chilli pepper sites in the UK that seem to guarantee their products are genuine, etc..

I'd feel safer buying from somewhere like that, or shaman-australis, etc. At least you know who your dealing with to a degree.

Keep us posted on how your plants go mate, I am pretty keen to hear your progress!

Yeah, which is why I didn't pay more than $10. Its worth a try :)

The effect of climate on the Scoville rating of Naga Jolokia peppers is dramatic. A 2005 Indian study that compared the percentage availability of capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin in Naga Jolokia peppers grown in both Tezpur (Assam) and Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh) showed that the heat of the pepper is decreased by over 50% in Gwalior's climate (similar temperatures but less humid, much lower rainfall).

I am not a fan of seriously hot food. I don't get it....what is the point if you can't taste it?

Yeah, can change depending on heaps of different situations. I'm gonna try it anyway :)

I love hot food and i'm gonna love giving it to my mates who think they're chili kings!!

I am not a fan of seriously hot food. I don't get it....what is the point if you can't taste it?

Sometimes that is the point ;) With enough of my gringo-killer hot sauce even swine meat is edible.

And sometimes its used as a drug, I know that the endorphin rush from megahot stuff enhances some smells and tastes for me.

I should grow a wider range of peppers this year.