The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Serpent

Sad P. viridis

After getting a small viridis plant (thanks you :) ) ive been trying to get it back to health, after leaving it in the small pot for a couple days, i transplanted it into some rich potting mich with some added perlite for drainage, ive kept it on hot water system (been pritty cool here past week) to keep it warm and ive got a coke bottle over it to keep the humidity up. But its still declining, it's lots its leaves (had two small ones) and the top of the stalk has started to shrival were it was brocken (through mail :( ) ive read through eveything i can find but now i dont know what else to do to help the poor guy?

J

ps sorry if the spellings bad word has decided not to work

sorry to hear that, my guess is she will not survive...

but don't let your head hang down, just work on getting an other one.

we all lost plants one time or another, and know how it feels, maybe your lucky and she'll pull thru, you certainly did all the right things to give her a good chance.

all the best!

After getting a small viridis plant (thanks you :) ) ive been trying to get it back to health, after leaving it in the small pot for a couple days, i transplanted it into some rich potting mich with some added perlite for drainage, ive kept it on hot water system (been pritty cool here past week) to keep it warm and ive got a coke bottle over it to keep the humidity up. But its still declining, it's lots its leaves (had two small ones) and the top of the stalk has started to shrival were it was brocken (through mail :( ) ive read through eveything i can find but now i dont know what else to do to help the poor guy?

J

ps sorry if the spellings bad word has decided not to work

Sorry to hear it mate, and as PH said I doubt she'll survive. My last one did that same thing last winter.

But I got a new one this growing season and she has taken well. I've got it in a small greenhouse from ebay ($35 or somthing) and she loves the heat and humidity in there. Maybe give it a go.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry to hear that GiR, I've got a psychotria v. similarly dying. It's been in a very sad near-death state for sooo long, but won't quite die out on me.

Does anyone know if P. Carthinagensis (spl, sry) can handle the aussie climate that much better?

I've heard its a small improvement, but dunno if its worth trying to obtain one ...

Thanks and sorry again GiR.

Sorry to hear that GiR, I've got a psychotria v. similarly dying. It's been in a very sad near-death state for sooo long, but won't quite die out on me.

Does anyone know if P. Carthinagensis (spl, sry) can handle the aussie climate that much better?

I've heard its a small improvement, but dunno if its worth trying to obtain one ...

Thanks and sorry again GiR.

P.Cathaginensis is much more hardy than Viridis and grows alot faster for me.

got both to grow well in a $30 bunnings mini greenhouse that I cover in shadecloth in summer. Had a bad aphid problem on the viridis, fixed with derris dust but now there are yellowish, flat, 1-2mm lumps of some kind along some leaf veins and nodes. I scraped most them off with my fingernail and leaf is unharmed underneath. Would these be aphid eggs or something new? Hope Im not hijacking:)

I tried growing and killed numerous small viridis plants until I got sick of it and bought a bigger plant when I was at SAB. I've got it sitting in the shade of a tree growing quite nicely on the central coast of nsw. Admittedly my mates up north is going way better, although its in the ground.

My P.Carth I just moved to a sunnier spot and its cranking at the moment.

plastid it sounds like you have scale insects on ya plants. I wont go into this but i have noticed that the scale gun does not harm the psychotrias.

The Carth var is much more hardier it seems to grow quite fast in comparison. As does the Alba var. These 2 also grow well from seed. The Viridis var seeems to grow quite slowly however i have grown all three with the same neglect here and they seem to all be quite happy. The things that really hurt them is long periods without water and the cold of winter here.

Gir it sounds like you have done all you could do. Hang in there cos these guys seem to make comebacks at times. Perhaps try with some of the other varieties as they will be more forgiving. :lol: