The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

Chilli oil question

Hi,

Does anyone here make their own chilli oil, as dressings etc.

Is there a prefered oil to be used, and a certain way to prepare it?, some oils need to be placed in the sun, then filtered, others just stored and filtered. So whats the go with using fresh or dried chilli.

Any thoughts on the topic would be great :)

Auxin, you've got some experience here i bet.

thanks all, gerbil

Dont use olive oil, it spoils too fast. Most people I know use canola oil or sometimes peanut oil (I'm a canola guy). Dont use fresh peppers, people have gotten food poisoning that way. Freshly dried peppers are way better than older dried peppers because freshly dried still has all the essential oils that give it its odor and flavor. Cold infusion preserves the flavor the best (thats where you add the dried peppers to oil and sit it on a shelf for several days to 2 weeks, filter, and store) but if your in a hurry hot infusion goes much faster (do as above but have the jar in a hot water bath all day, then filter and store).

You should be able to find some info http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/pepper/HERE

There is a search utility near the end of the page. I'm the lunatic that made pure capsaicin as a spice- dont try that at home.

hey auxin,

thanks for that, was exactly what i was after.

"I'm the lunatic that made pure capsaicin as a spice- dont try that at home."

chilli buzz or burn ... now that would give a fair buzz :D

[ 01. February 2003, 13:11: Message edited by: gerbil ]