The Corroboree
nil

brachychiton populneus: kurrajong seed prep

the kurrajongs in the hood are LADEN with seed popping out of pods. i'm keen to harvest and prepare them. tim low says eat them raw or roasted after removal of irritating hairs. i'm not keen on irritating hairs. wild hairs can cause all sorts of trouble. any suggestions on how to remove the wild hairs? :innocent_n: i'm keen to do this wednesday so any tips prior to that would be much appreciated.

flame the hairs. the roast lightly.

flame the hairs. the roast lightly.

how do i "flame the hairs", t? "you rotten little mongrels, trolling about in that lovely tree!! off with your hairs!" are they tasty? do you use them in food or as snacks or???

a little butane torch or even a jet lighter can do the trick. Just keep waving it over the seeds so that the hairs dry and then burn. make sure it is a single layer of seeds in a metal pan. the ash is easily blown away. as you re roasting them anyway it doesn't matter if the seeds get a bit hot during the flaming.

once hairless simply roast to your desired flavour. i recommend a light roast first as you can always roast a little more. roasting is done at 150-180 degC in a pan over a gas flame [electric is possible but difficult] depending on what flavour you seek. just keep the seeds moving while you roast. this can take 5 to 30 minutes, so be patient.

light roast can be nibbled, but the flavour is very strong. best to grind to make a coffee. VERY high in caffeine

i don't have a butane torch. maybe every kitchen should have one. maybe i can just throw them on a fire.....thanks for the tips!

butane torches are about $4 at your local servo.

butane torches are about $4 at your local servo.

cool. i thought that sorta thing was restricted to crack smoking countries. :innocent_n: thanks!

Flaming the hairs is no doubt best.

But many years ago I collected some Illawara Flame Tree pods and rubbed them in a bucket of water to get the irritating hairs off them.

Roasted the seeds in hot oven until they started exploding and they were brilliant. I likened the level of tastiness to beer nuts at the time.