The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
liftyourskinnyfists

Pets poisoned by plants

I haven't grown anything that poisonous, but I was thinking about adding some of the datura/brug/mescal type to my collection. We've got 2 cats and a rabbit. I would like to think that they're smart enough not to go chewing on plants, but one of my cats is pretty stupid :) I don't think this topic has been discussed on the boards. I imagine that some of you have knowledge/experience on this issue as in my experience plant people tend to be animal people too. Are my concerns unfounded?

that cat will learn to avoid the brug pretty quickly. I'd only be concerned about seeds. but then again rats keep chewing ours without much harm to them.

Cant say much for rabbits but be careful if you have fungus sprouting in your area... Dogs or moreso puppies are extremely attracted to fly agarics. Not to be taken lightly as i found out. As for most cats, they know whats up. My cat was known to claw the occasional loph, so theres more chance of your plants getting attacked by your animals!! :)

Good idea to ask the question tho!

Bd.

Just remembered. Rabbits are known for self medication in the wild. I remeber a few years back at a pet/animal show there was a poster of "Rabbit Herbs" which depicted around a dozen european herbs that rabbits use to self medicate. Hopefully your rabbit is well rehersed in backyard ethnobotany ! :)

shit, didn't see there was a rabbit involved.

I think this is definitely a problem. however, as I said, rats eat the very potent gbrug seeds with no ill effect, so maybe rodents are immune to tripping on brugs.

most animals are smart enough to avoid things like brugmansia and datura. My dogs don't touch them nor do my chickens but they chew just about anything else. I don't think the rabbit would eat it unless it was really hungry, if it had access to other food i can't see why it would try and eat it. Unless it is a very stupid rabbit.