The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

Anadenanthera colubrina germination?

I often had the same problem with A.c. seeds. It seems that if the root can't penetrate the sand properly and in time, the plantlet loses too much energy and dies.

I found that burying the lower 2/3 of the seed vertically works best in my case. There's usually a tiny hollow on the rim of the seed where it was attached to the seedpod. This is the bottom part of the seed. Plant it vertically, this side down, and the radicle will simply grow down from there. When they are planted this way, the cotyledons are finally just above the surface of CSS, and the plantlets are less lanky.

hope this helps

how coarse is your sand?? I only get about 1 or 2 in 100 having that problem.

Caldeye, thanks for that, will give that a try with a few seeds, good info :)

Tort., yeah you are right, this lot of seeds are in finer sand with perlite. The shop sells it as CSS, but it is 70% fine sand by the looks of it, I just need to filter it all a bit.

Will try some coarser sand with some more seeds

thanks, gerbil

Hey, am having a few problems with getting some plants past seedling.

a few are quite healthy, then drop all their leaves. Some go light green and stop growth.

They generally get to about 5 leaves, then stop.

Any hints from people growing these trees successfully?? Can't find alot of information about the topic

also, Does the plant itself produce the nitrogen fixing bacteria, or does it have to be introduced?

lately have been wondering about how snuffs are used in tribes, does anybody know why snuff pipes involve two people? Is the snuff administered better, than if just snorted by the person?

Or does the process have a ritual behind it which involves the second person?.

I've searched for this information but haven't come across anything that answered it.

thanks gerbil

[ 20. June 2003, 22:37: Message edited by: gerbil ]

I'm not sure if there's any ritual value to it (most likely there is). but the person using traditional snuff (theoretically and where legal, of course) has to put relatively large amounts of powder deep up his nasal cavities in less than a minute. The powder burns like hell, and it is hard to snort any more just after snorting some (it proved impossible for AFOAF to take more than equivalent of four seeds at a time). When using an assistant or working in pairs one probably can take it deeper, in larger amounts and get to deeper levels than doing it alone

hey caldeye,

just what i was after, does seem pretty logical actually.

thanks mate

The way I've germed them is to put them into a bowl of water overnight and take out the ones that have swelled nicely and either put them in soil or a wet paper towel to sprout. In soil I like to put a tiny bit of dirt over the top but I'm sure you could just lay it there with good results. A good trick to use is to bubble the water you soak them in. It gives a little oxygen to the water.

Stoney

my method for 100% germination is to use vermiculite in one of those yates seed raising humidifiers (about 15 bucks) on top of a beer brewing heat mat (about 50 bucks). all seeds germinated overnight.

germination is not a problem, its getting them well established. So far, they just grow up to about 5 leaves, then stop, some lose leaves etc etc.

Does anyone know a good method for introducing NFB?

...and yes..as gerbil just said, the next bit is getting them to grow .....hmmm this is another step.....!!!!!!!!!!