The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

B.Caapi

Hi guys,

I've got a B.Caapi plant I bought about 3 months ago which has only grown about 10cm since then... I've read people saying in between 4cm and 20cm per day and mine hasn't even done that in 3 months!

The plant is currently in a 15L pot with regular potting mix. I've got it in a mini greenhouse so it is in humid conditions and I water it every other day. 1/2 day direct sunlight. Lightly fertilised only once.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

KlUe

Edited by KlUe

fert her far more and often, but get her used to those increased nutrient levels bit by bit, a starved plant can die if suddenly recieving an abundance of nutes.

fert her far more and often, but get her used to those increased nutrient levels bit by bit, a starved plant can die if suddenly recieving an abundance of nutes.

Cheers mate, I'll start giving her a bit more food.

KlUe

I don't think it's necesary to have it in a mini greenhouse either. I am on the central coast and mine are all outside in pots and are all growing magically.

I don't think it's necesary to have it in a mini greenhouse either. I am on the central coast and mine are all outside in pots and are all growing magically.

Yeah thats true, I just thought as it is a tropical plant it won't mind the humid conditions as it would be similar to its original environment. Please correct me if i'm wrong though!

KlUe

Hmmm, I have a cutting on its way in the post atm, and I was wondering what sort of things people recommend for her to flourish in Canberra?

For those who dont know - our summers are hot and dry (lately its been in the high 30s occasionally reaching 40C) and our winters are cold and miserable (most mornings will be frosty usually no lower than -3C, but has been as low as about -7C on my memory) and can be quite windy at times. It rains quite rarely here too, though we have had a little yesterday and a little more foecast for the next day or two I think, but mostly in the cooler months I think.

Very rarely do we get any unusual activity, but a few of you might have seen the hailstorms we copped here on new years eve - my NYE was spent in the dark due to a nice waterfall coming thru our bedroom light fixture... Otherwise its all pretty much sunny for about 80% of the time.

What sort of things would you knowledgeable people recommend for the cultivation of such a plant? Should I start her off indoors until she starts growing (and probably thru winter)? I dont have a greenhouse atm, and our backyard is quite open (apart from the shade of a couple very large gum trees) and is very dry (the only things enjoying it are my cacti lol), so I would think she'd prefer it inside away from the harsh sun and scortching heat.

Any thoughts on soil types/fert methods etc that would benefit my area in perticular (not in general, but a tailor made sort of thing :))? Understandable if i cop the UTFSE, but I'd rather tailor made advice if you understand :):worship:

Watch the leaves to see when it needs ferts. Caapi will show pale leaves if it's too hungry. Dark or curled leaves indicate over ferting. Another indication of overferting is leaf burn. There can be various causes of leaf burn so you have to be careful. I look for my caapis to have deep green but not dark green leaves. Have you checked the ph of your soil? A ph of around 6 is usually good, I can't recall offhand exactly what caapi likes but it's no higher than that. 6 is slightly acidic. After caapi gets going it can take full sun with no problem. Be carefull with young cuttings or seedlings until they get used to it.