The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
darkhorse

Monstrose pup rooting

I've got a T.Bridgesii monstrose and the mother plant is shrivelling, no matter how much water I give it its always in a state of dehydration (at least thats what I thought). This I think has now been confirmed, for starters the bugger must have at least 16 pups, now one of the larger pups (which itself carries about 4 pups, this is included in the overall 16) is sending down roots to the potting medium while still attatched to the mother plant.

I know this is probably not a prob. and maybe a good idea to utilise an already rooting pup disconnect the bugger and plant it as soon as the cut heals. What I want to know is this sort of thing common. I've read before that monstrose, because they pup so prolifically that they tend to shrivel, but do they root while still attatched commonly.

Yes, this is common in bridgesii monstrose growth.

Maybe you would uproot the mother plant and check for mealy? Or if the other pups look fine but not the main mother, then maybe its just that because so much pupping has occured that the resources have literally been diverted away from the original base plant.

I guess the question would be do you leave the pups on this one that is growing roots, and try to root the pup with more pups coming off it, or do you take off the one thats growing roots and then also remove the pups from that one and root them all up individually. I would probably go with individually, unless it looks particularly cool with its current pup formations.