The Corroboree
XipeTotec

lophophora, how is it pronounced?

lo-fo-fora

or for some,

lo-fof-fora

Agreed (with the first one, that is...'f' sounds more than 'p' sounds)

Also keeping in mind that species ending in 'ii' the i sound is actually pronounced twice.

So for williamsii it would be willy-am-see-i (roughly...)

Edited by zee_werp

Agreed...

Also keeping in mind that species ending in 'ii' the i sound is actually pronounced twice.

So for williamsii it would be willy-am-see-i (roughly...)

We (well, I) need a pronunciation guide. I heard a Paul Stamets lecture the other day, and I think I've been mispronouncing Psilocybe for a few years. Although Stamets does talk about a million miles an hour....

Belf

I've heard different 'professionals' pronounce psilocybe in different ways.

Apparently the technically correct way sounds like 'sigh-los-sye-bee'. But theres many variations upon that. So long as people know what you're talking about, I think thats the main thing. Whether you say 'sye-low-sybe' or 'sylo-cyb' etc etc. most people would still know what you be meanin'.

I just assumed it was like l-off-oh-for-a

I've heard different 'professionals' pronounce psilocybe in different ways.

Apparently the technically correct way sounds like 'sigh-los-sye-bee'. But theres many variations upon that. So long as people know what you're talking about, I think thats the main thing. Whether you say 'sye-low-sybe' or 'sylo-cyb' etc etc. most people would still know what you be meanin'.

there is only one correct way and that is the latin way, so don't drop the p for starters...

anyway i am worn out discussing this topic as many people think english pronounciation rules apply to latin...

plant helper that was your first post in this thread, You cant get tired on teaching us the proper pronounciation of lophophora when you havnt even started!!