The Corroboree
sobriquet

Paleo-Neolithic shaman - trickster as a potential tattoo.

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the following as an idea for a shamanic tattoo.

Slide18.jpg

One of the oldest cave paintings in Europe depicting a shaman.

n037p13p.jpg

I saw another thread but can't find it for the life of me now with a neolithic horse as a tattoo. I'm still not sure whether I want this tattoo but I have some positive feelings about it.

What are some of your ideas in terms of pros and cons?

i've been a tattooist in my time and have a myriad of tats i wish i didn't have and a myriad of tats i love. that said, if it means something to you and speaks to you that's all that matters. and following the sagely advice of putting it somewhere you can cover it up for the corporate functions you're sure you'll never attend in future. it's definitely a unique design and would not be too complex a work for the artist.

I like it.

It definitely has a tribal quality to it. I also like the meaning behind it, ancient image carved by the roots of our culture. It think it would be a great tattoo...

Cool idea,

Dunno if I'd have picked that particular figure. I've definitely been looking at some neolithic art as inspiration for my own "canvas", though. Some of the cave paintings from the cave's of Chauvet and Lascaux in France are awesome! Whoever the artist was, used techniques and had an understanding of perspective which was not seen again until the renaissance 60 odd thousand years later. In many cases they used the rock face to bring the figures to life using natural bulges in the rockface to form a three dimensional relief sort of effect.

There aren't really depictions of shaman's per se but I'm inclined to think that it was a shaman who was resposible for painting the images

Check 'em out.

www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/

www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/

I think placed well this could be an excellent tattoo. I've seen some great tattoo's in this style, but you should be careful choosing your practitioner as I think the patchy shading could be quite tricky for some tattooists who are used to heavy black or coloured work. I saw this design in a book I read some time ago, but don't remember any mention of a trickster being depicted. I'm pretty interested in tricksters at the moment, if you have a source on this I'd love to read it.

I love it, looks great and is a work of art!

I have one of the long head mushroom figures of Tassili tattooed on my lower leg, which came out well and was well drawn. It is also a good conversation piece.