The Corroboree
Coschi

Which TeK!?!?!

Seems to be an absolute abundance of information out there on variations of teks, how to do teks, teks teks etc..

But i'm yet to find a tek selection guide ..

So many people out there seem extremely knowledgable in this area, so i figure someone can answer this question.

Which tek to start with?? Doesn't have to be the easiest, just one that is relatively straight forward and easy to follow and could yield around 30 grams dried..

Sorry to ask this question if its probably a pretty stupid thing to ask, but i could read and read about all kinds of teks and still have no clue which to go for.. grain casing rice wheat corn alien??

:scratchhead:

My recommendation would be colonising jars of birdseed and casing with vermiculite, peat moss and calcium carbonate.

Use a tub with a layer of perlite for humidification.

Yield is much better than cakes and it is easier than spawning to a bulk substrate (less room for contamination) and does not take up too much room. I have also heard potency is much better than mushrooms from cakes.

Is quicker than spawning to a bulk substrate as you don't have to wait for the bulk substrate to colonise.

Most people consider the casing I listed as the best mix. Straight vermiculite works too but is not quite as good.

Perlite humidification is simple cheap and works flawlessly.

Do the PH tek and substitute 40% of the brf with yellow millet. SHits on everything.

Hey BM,

Whats the advantage to yellow millet?

Colonisation time, or yeild, or quality of fruit?

also how well do the cakes hold together? not really an issue with casing just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

remember not to make it to wet if your using brf and verm i made the mistake of doing it and that jar took along time to colonize i like mixing in just a few table spoons on brf not to much,dont pack down the jars ya dont wanna trap the mycelium,once ya do it a few times its easy cheers

millet cakes hold well as long as you use a but f flour as well as the millet - once its colonised its generally as firm as a BRF cake.

The advantage of millet is that its the best substrate in terms of precursors and in terms of yielding healthy and meaty mushrooms - try it and youll see. Rye is also pretty good but I have no doubt that millet is the best ive tried.