The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

white stuff on my seedlings roots

what is it and how do i get rid of it? this seedling appears fine still but a lot of others have gone redish and have this whitestuff on the roots when i dig them up.

whitestuff.bmp

whitestuff.bmp

whitestuff.bmp

Root mealy me thinks, either that or mould?

if you have them there you most likely have them elsewhere.

What do you guys think?

What medium is it growing on?

I know my Echinopsis seedlings have a white fluff at the bottom but these are definitely fine hair roots and not fungi.

The white medium is making it hard to know what's really going on. If it's the fine hairy stuff then it should be fine.

Hard to tell from the photo, but here are some root-mealies and the "white fluff" they exude.

~Michael~

post-19-1166331062_thumb.jpg

growing in white sand pit sand. definately not fine roots. definately a pathogen of some sort. does look like ms smiths pic though i havent come across any of the mealies. anything else cause the same looking white fluff as root mealies? what should i use to treat that wont harm my little seedlings?

If its only the one seedling then maybe you can consider pricking that one out with the surrounding sand.

Or you could consider transplanting it and observe for a while.

Finally whether you prick it out or not, maybe try Confidor?

its gone through most of the pots. least of my problems now. checked them this arvo and more than half have dissappeared completely, with a few half eaten corpses. probably about thirty or more gone over night. talk about fucking pissed off. put the rest into sealed containers with a few air holes till i work out whats going on.

Confidor! Now!

Seen any little flies, or little maggots? Had a few of these bastards destroy some seedlings but got to them before they decimated the whole seasons work...

faaarrrk. 4 nights in a row something has been chowing down on my cacti. i put mouse traps with cheese in there but hasnt touched them. covered up all the seedlings so now its gone after larger grafts. this is seriously fucking annoying!

i assumed it was mice because there was a mice once before that took too many and had to be destroyed (btw dont buy all plastic mouse traps that say they dont break the skin as they are too weak and the poor mouse survived 24hrs until i found it) back on topic now... this offender hasnt touched 3 mouse traps with cheese but eats lophs next to them so maybe not a mouse?? any ideas or solutions? appart from camping out all night in the shed with an air rifle?

post-117-1166772802_thumb.jpg

post-117-1166772965_thumb.jpg

post-117-1166773113_thumb.jpg

i assumed it was mice because there was a mice once before that took too many and had to be destroyed (btw dont buy all plastic mouse traps that say they dont break the skin as they are too weak and the poor mouse survived 24hrs until i found it) back on topic now... this offender hasnt touched 3 mouse traps with cheese but eats lophs next to them so maybe not a mouse?? any ideas or solutions? appart from camping out all night in the shed with an air rifle?

Any slime trails?

Slugs can be very destructive. I'd put some snail pellets around and see if you find the culprits the next morning.

no slime. too dry for slugs and snails too. havent noticed any mouse droppings, but there is that much dirt and crap on the ground i might not notice it if it was there.

no slime. too dry for slugs and snails too. havent noticed any mouse droppings, but there is that much dirt and crap on the ground i might not notice it if it was there.

Only other mystery pests I find from time to time are grasshoppers. They eat any plant material and are quite ravenous too and hard to detect.

I've not put pest oil on my cacti but it works well on other plants to stop grasshopper damage.

cockroaches love them! :ana:

Try something other than cheese, IME the one thing the mice/rats tend not to go far is cheese.. funny that ehy.

I have best results with sweet fruits like apple or stuff like cucumber because they are already looking for cacti like food stuffs.

Failing that, try baiting one with a damaged lopho :lol: