The Corroboree
Ace

Half pint/pint sized canning jars?

if it helps at all what we used in the states for pf tek were 'wide mouthed mason jars'. i used to grow mushrooms with great success when i was there and failed miserably when i tried to substitute other items here. i experienced a serious sterility problem and ended up with a beautiful hot pink thing happening. haven't tried again since. the mason jars never needed more sterilising than a sound heating in a regular pot atop a steamer insert with a lid and they cost about $6 a dozen.

this whole birdseed thing has me intrigued...

I think the alternatives to jars are fairly compelling. If you feel adventurous you can find many suitabe heat tolerant bags that can be used in a microwave. I have found that 45 minutes of microwaving of soaked birdseed has given a completely sterile mix that has remained absolutely growth free (of anything) after 13 days.

If one wants to use a glass container then it seems to me that large tumbler type drinking glasses with double alfoil lids is superior to the use of jars for convenience, availability and cost.

I've found the "Chefcraft" (?) brand a very cheap and durable option.

Available at Coles/Woollies/K-Mart etc, come in 250ml, 500, 1l sizes. Transluscent plastic, screw-tops, parallel walls, and quite scratch-resistant. Only fault would be being a little bit brittle (gotta be careful if drilling holes in the lids).

ed

Only fault would be being a little bit brittle (gotta be careful if drilling holes in the lids).

ed

Try using a hot screwdriver instead of force or a drill, much, much easier.

Try using a hot screwdriver instead of force or a drill, much, much easier.

wood burners and soldering irons work great for that, too. just don't inhale fumes! i used to make tarantula habitats out of plastic containers....then you have a dual use tool (wood burning or soldering!).

i will keep an eye out for the chef's craft containers. thanks for that tip, ed.

Wow, old thread! I was gifted an oyster culture to get me started into the world of mycology but I didn't end up having much luck unfortunately. I've done a lot more research since though and thankfully all these silly questions have since been answered here and in books. Haven't really had much time to get into it all since back when this thread was opened (apart from one or two very half-assed attempts that ended up pointless). Perhaps down the track I'll have an opportunity to get into bulk edibles and start a market stall. That's the plan anyway :)

'Canning Jars' - ahh the cluelessness of being a noob :lol: