The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Amulte

Water Scam Resurfaces

an old scam has resurfaced in Newcastle. in this risk of it spreading i think i shoud share what i know so others can avoid falling into the trap. scam goes as follows...

they call or knock on your door, claiming to be from the water board wanting to speak to you/survey yoou abut the water quality. asking questions like "has anyone in the house fallen sick after drinking the water? has the water got a smell/colour?" and similar questions that raise concern. later they tell you about this bacteria in the water or excess chlorine or somthing the needs to be filtred out. now they ask for a deposit from you for a water filter that will later be delivered to you after they get the deposit. which is never delivered.

i received a phone call exactly the same earlier today, recognised it and ended the call quickly to call the water board themselves. they confirmed for me that they "are not calling people about the water offering filters and they do not call people like that as it might cause a panic". then worrying about peole falling for this i called a few places including local radio stations in the hope they let people know about this going round, long story short police will aparently be spreading warnings.

the phone is the best way to socialy engineer people through confusion and/or fear, sad thing is it works so well because oneneeds to know the scam. another thats going round is people call claiming to be from telstra, a tech, saying they are doing tests, and ant you to enter a code into you phone while in call, i dont rmemebr the code but it opens your phone line to the caller, you hang up they get dial tone and can make calls on your bill. be aware.