The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NatureBoy

Warez and Warez traders...

G'day, I felt like reading about warez, and warez related issues, and came across this essay. Its about 5 pages long and in .pdf format. I found it interesting so if you have nothing to do...

http://ssc.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/23/1/24.pdf

here is one portion:

"Warez traders share many common attributes with hackers and crackers. Most obviously,

every major warez distribution group has at least one cracker who disables any copy protection

technologies in the warez. In addition, both groups tend to be overwhelmingly male,

although the stereotypical hacker or cracker is a teenage boy (Thomas, 2002, p. xiv), whereas

many warez traders are older, married, and working in professional information technology

jobs (Goldman, 2003, p. 395)."

and another:

"The warez scene is a community, and many participants form tight friendships. Many

warez traders are social misfits in the physical world, but online they find kindred spirits. As

one warez trader said, “[Warez traders] want to belong. They have been shunned by everyone,

and thus turn to cyberspace for acceptance” (Farnon, 2003)."

and one more:

"...In truth, warez traders probably have a falsely exaggerated effect on

piracy. However, warez traders make good legislative targets because of their quasiguerrilla

tactics: They operate stealthily, behind the Internet’s opaque veil, and are impossible to spot

offline.

In addition, when online, warez traders exude cockiness and invincibility that legislators

may interpret as a challenge to their power and authority.

However, no quantum of stiffened criminal penalties will eradicate warez trading.Warez

trading is about ego, prestige, and reputation, and so long as intangible assets are fenced off,

a group of enthusiasts will seek recognition for breaching the fences. Increased criminal penalties

may counterproductively make warez trading more attractive."

Drink Or Die, a very old WaReZ group was busted a few years ago, turns out the leader was a friend of my girlfriends mother, living somewhere on the central coast with his parents, and was considered "weird" by everyone in the IT department...

still, i wouldnt mind access to their FTP servers...

Drink Or Die, a very old WaReZ group was busted a few years ago, turns out the leader was a friend of my girlfriends mother, living somewhere on the central coast with his parents, and was considered "weird" by everyone in the IT department...

still, i wouldnt mind access to their FTP servers...

Lol,, that wouldn't be boomer would it .. I shouldn't laugh at his fate. DoD were big in apps, Razor1911 in games, RBS (Rebels) euro cracking group, then i sort of grew up and drifted away.. good to see someone knows about ftp dump sites tho :P

I used to make music (amiga mods) for some of the smaller groups like Paradox, and the aussie group Liberty many moons ago...

What's the feeling here in regard to copywrited texts?

I've lost two personal libraries to fires (no not clumsy, one electrical fault in a rental, the other a mad arsonist), so grab every reference text that I see online. Quite often this is 'pirated' material.

On the basis that I'd never sit at the pc and read a .txt as I would with a book, I feel little guilt ie. I use only as reference, so wouldn't have purchased the book anyway.

So Torsten, is it appropriate to paste a rapidshare etc link to such documents?

ed

Bluemeanie and other old skoolers... The best bit of loading up and old amiga or c64 game was the groovy beats and awsome rolling/scrolling multicoloured chromie texts back then!! They were more often better than the game itself!! The hacker/cracker intro pages or trainer pages were acutally a major driving force when i look back to my graffiti crazed youth!! Kinda like digital role-models. Thanks guys!!! :lol:B)

Who thought we would all meet up again.... :o

I used to make music (amiga mods) for some of the smaller groups like Paradox, and the aussie group Liberty many moons ago...

were you ever in the demo scene?

Yeah i was actually - in a few groups if I remember - Mainly one called Kronical or something weird - made music for some overseas dudes as well which was kinda cool - mainly chip tunes. Ill find out their names.