The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
licorice

cyanhuasca

ive read that some acacias commonly used as ayahuasca admixtures also contain cyanides. can anyone tell me more specifically which ones, in what concentrations and in which parts? are people concerned about this? is it better to use phalaris or other alternative sources of tryptamines?

any biphasic extraction will have removed the cyanide, so most 'commercial' extracts are fine. using the leaves in a brew may not be.

thanks torsten,

so crude boil and drink extracts are not recommended (even where legal)? does this apply to maidenii bark? are the concentrations sufficent to make you ill if you did actually drink the raw brew (where legal)? my only experiences with ayah. have been mimosa root bark plus peganum harmla (boil + drink where legal), and it strikes me that with the body load and mental effects you may not actually realise you were sick

the cyanide is usually only in the leaf.

for those who desperately want to drink leaf brew, at least do the following to reduce the cyanide content: add some acid (such as lime/lemon juice and boil the brew for at last 10 minutes AFTER the green material has been strained out. This drives off the free hydrogen cyanide.

It should be pointed out to not hang around inhaling the free hydrogen cyanide. It is a lethal gas!!!!

Follow this procedure in a well ventilated (outdoors) area. Especially if working on a big batch of leaves.

E D

Guest reville

Phalaris is an alternative source but can be rich in the toxic alakloid gramine.

Not only that but it is also very weak.

There are many selected forms with interesting characteristics either in yield or alaklid profile.

These would either have to be preserved via vegetative propagation or through an intensive breeding program utilising TLC analysis of progeny and gene inheritance calculations

The variety 'australia' is available from SAB , the seedring has limited quantities of AQ1 and I personally will be selling AQ1 plants/clones and 'Turkey red' clones once theyre big enough.

thanks for the info people. actually ive got some 'australia' growing at the moment (sposed to be relatively high alkaloid), but theyre just pups at the moment