The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

My macro has taken a hit...

Hey guys

Need a bit of advice.. my macro that I was going to chop up to propogate (been too busy in the last couple of weeks!) has suffered a weird infliction. Here's the story:

I put up a new greenhouse - just a light steel frame with clear pvc cover. I moved into it my yellowing T.P.montrose, and my macro, to encourage some spring growth.

The greenhouse is about 1m tall x 1m wide x 600mm deep.

So here's the problem - the macro which was not suffering at all, but not growing either while out in the weather has started to cave in on top. The top has gone yellow and yeah.. sort of caved in like it's suddenly lost all it's insides. The yellow is not soft or squishy. This took less than 30 hours

It hasn't been a blistering hot day here, just a regular early spring day with some sun some cloud. Probably around 16-18 degrees celcius outside so I wouldn't have thought it would cook.

The only other treatment the plant has had is a half strength fert about 1.5 weeks ago.

What causes this? Dehydration? Shock at moving to a warm sheltered environment?? This is my first cactus trauma and I'm worried!

The damage happened a few days ago now :| It hasn't spread.. what's the best treatment for this? Water ? Food? Abstinence?

sick_macro_1.jpg

sick_macro_2.jpg

it looks like its been baked.

have the heat and strength of the suns rays magnified throught the clear pvc thus baking the top of ur cacti?

kinda looks like heat damage to me.

:(

Yeah, what jono said......

was the plant inside or under cover before you put it in the sun?

maybee put it in a shaded/dry area to see if it makes a recovery, if it does, u know ur clear pvc is producing heat and light that is to intense. I have been converted to the fact that trichs grow better in a shaded(25-50 %) sheltered/covered/rainproof(is that the word? :wacko:) environment(so as u can govern over the watering regime) with low Nitrogen ferts(osmocote 'Native' is a goodie in my opinion.)

good luck with her, my bet is shell recover, they r tuff buggers!

That is sunburn.

I've never seen real sunburn that didn't look identical.

I've frequently left plants that got burned like that in place, they adjust and new growth does not burn.