The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
verbluten

help newbie. p.viridis, p.alba etc...

lovely plants folks. wow bijanto the viridis is powering along!
Thanks ferret. By the way, do you still remember where you obtained this? And was it from seed or plant?

I was searching to make sure whether this is P. viridis or P. alba, and here's what Ive found:

Psychotria alba

It's similar to P. viridis, but lacks the small appendices along the vein on the underside of the leaf. Alba has 60% the potency of viridis. This plant is used by the Uniao do Vegetal (UDV) Ayahuasca Church in Brazil.

This morning I checked my plant for the sign of underside small tubes or darts at the leaf vein axils, and found that almost all the leaves on my plant do not have this unique characteristic. Only about 3 leaves have developed such thing.

Here are the pics of four leaves I took. The first 3 leaves do have the "V-tube" characteristic, whereas the other leaves look just like the pict at the bottom right corner.

Anyone has anything to say about this?

post-831-1160041221_thumb.jpg

post-831-1160041293_thumb.jpg

post-831-1160041352_thumb.jpg

post-831-1160041396_thumb.jpg

Edited by -bijanto-

Thanks ferret. By the way, do you still remember where you obtained this? And was it from seed or plant?

yep i got them from planthelper as leaf cuttings.

pretty certain he said they were viridis but my memory is shithouse...

Thanks ferret, I'm pretty sure this is a viridis. I just want to clarify previous things that people said, that this underside leaf formation is definite, I mean yes it's true that those tubes do appear but the probability may be low, at least in my case. I would be glad to hear what other ppl say about their viridis leaf though. Planthelper, what d'ya reckon...?

i remeber a couple of posts at various forums about those spikes.

i think only viridis displays them, and only on big healthy leaves.

maybe in some parts of the world those spikes get somehow utilised by insects, but this is a very wild guess... however a. colubrina has some "spots" on the leave stalks (hope i don't mix up stuff here) and i've seen insects beeing attracted to them.

ant's are very clever animals they seem to know a lot about ethnobotany, i'm sure one time some "god in the white lab coat" will unreval how they do it, lol.

P.H., do most of your leaves have the spikes?

it's just getting dark here so i have to take a close look tomorrow, but from memory all the big healthy leaves have those spikes, but other mature but small leaves don't have them.

more tomorrow...

however a. colubrina has some "spots" on the leave stalks (hope i don't mix up stuff here) and i've seen insects beeing attracted to them.

Yeah

these are glands or 'extrafloral nectaries'. They produce nectar and ants are attracted to them. Lots of Acacias have them on the base of the phyllode also.

Wow, thanx darcy that's an interesting find, I didn't know that