The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

E. novo history in Australia.

I agree on one thing: that people from botanic gardens (speaking of here in Indonesia) are typically conservative, lacking initiative and passion. So they seem to be slow to explore new species (except for what are left from the Dutch), or seem to be ignorant of what is happening in the other parts of the world.

I was wondering, is there any member here working or involved in any botanical garden or research institutions? [edit] I wish I had a botanic garden someday. :)

Edited by -bijanto-

There should be a fair number involved, or even a few working at Botanical gardens here. I think Vana is still around on this forum.

Good luck.

There should be a fair number involved, or even a few working at Botanical gardens here. I think Vana is still around on this forum.

Good luck.

Well then glad to know there are some exceptions. Those ppl are welcome to contact me if they're interested :)

Edited by -bijanto-

Most botanic gardens in europe have novo plants - even in public access areas!

That's the point I am trying to make. There is a huge difference in law and attitudes between euopre and australia/USA.

bijanto - you will find that most garden's staff have no say in the collection whatsoever. I know several people in quite senior positions in various gardens in australia and none of them have been able to get an plant they want into the collection unless it fits into the accession plans of the administrator.

Ok Torsten, point received. I remember someone said that in the past when kratom was legal, you had some difficulty when trying for the first time to offer the species to the local community.