The Corroboree
sobriquet

Papaver setigerum ?

Does anyone have some seed of this Mediterranean poppy?

Apparently they also taste very nice on breads.

Does anyone have some seed of this Mediterranean poppy?

Apparently they also taste very nice on breads.

Ahh.. p. setigerum (setigum?) meh, lovely little fellas with if i may be so humble to presume

contain an interesting set of compounds.. apparently they grow in a lot of suburban areas around canberra - i'm not sure where you are but canberra ain't my location atm :) perhaps you could ask some of the canberra boys (viva canberra psychonauts who hate public service!! :D ) to collect some of the seed .. if I'm not mistaken its a somewhat light purple/white flower, four petals. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm describing p. setigum (sp?) - slightly more of an 'acorn' shaped pod for lack of a better word.. i once heard whisper of calwell?

Good luck my friend, I hope they make an excellent addition to your culinary tastes :) oh, i'm really not sure on the legality of cultivating (i'm not assuming thats your intent just looking out) or self harvesting for food purposes.

So long

I believe "setigerum" means 'bristle baring' so the calyx of it's flower mainly but also leaves have hairs and bristles.

papaver_setigerum.jpg

papaver_setigerum1.jpg

pic0039.jpg

A cousin of somniferum with which it hybridises, so it's seeds are similar in culinary properties.

Edited by eNo

ALKALOIDS FROM Papaver setigerum DC.

Jiri SLAVIK and Leonora SLAVIKOVA

Biochemical Institute of Medical Faculty, Masaryk University, 662 43 Brno, Czech Republic

Two new benzylisoquinoline alkaloids of the papaverine type, setigerine (racemic a-methoxypapaverine, 1b) and setigeridine (1c), were isolated from Papaver setigerum DC. as the minor constituents. Their structures were established by spectral data and X-ray crystallographic analysis. Papaverine (1a) was isolated as the major alkaloid of the plant (0.05 wt.%) besides of less amounts of morphine, codeine and rhoeadine. In a low yield, protopine, cryptopine, thebaine, rhoeagenine, and N-methylthebainium (as iodide) were obtained and small quantities of laudanosine, stylopine, isoboldine, scoulerine, papaverrubine A, B, C, D and E, coptisine, corytuberine, and magnoflorine were identified by thin layer chromatography.

Keywords: Benzylisoquinoline alkaloids; Setigerine; Setigeridine; Papaveraceae.

Source: ht[dead link]tp://cccc.uochb.cas.cz/Vol/61/No07/19961047.html

So that the major alkaloid is papaverine as 0.05% BY WEIGHT of the plant as a whole.

I'm not sure about how this compares to somniferum, and it gives no information on the composition of the capsules or the latex in the mature capsule for that matter. It certainly produces morphine and the concentration of this may be higher in the capsule but I am unable to find any other useful info in relation to concentrations.

canberra boy here... i've got maybe 200 coming up in my back yard ATM, they flower sept thruogh november, I'm perfectly happy to distribute seed at harvest time... if ppl want seed, leave a msg in this thread and i'll reserve some, otherwise i'll start a thread when the're collected.

Interesting bio-assays btw, doesn't feel very "narcotic". more like cannabis sativa w/o the trippyness, the dreggy feeling or the paranoia... quite euphoric. interesting to note isoquinoline content, I always put the effects down to codine and papaverine, but the non-opiate activity is way more pronounced IMO :)

(prep - opium style, also makes a quite strong tea from the pods, synergises beautifully with mushrooms and cannabis)

peace

mik

canberra boy here... i've got maybe 200 coming up in my back yard ATM, they flower sept thruogh november, I'm perfectly happy to distribute seed at harvest time... if ppl want seed, leave a msg in this thread and i'll reserve some, otherwise i'll start a thread when the're collected.

Interesting bio-assays btw, doesn't feel very "narcotic". more like cannabis sativa w/o the trippyness, the dreggy feeling or the paranoia... quite euphoric. interesting to note isoquinoline content, I always put the effects down to codine and papaverine, but the non-opiate activity is way more pronounced IMO :)

(prep - opium style, also makes a quite strong tea from the pods, synergises beautifully with mushrooms and cannabis)

peace

mik

Hi Mik, I'm quite obviously interested in these. I'm more interested in these botanically as someone who wanted real bang for time invested in cultivating would probably skip these and just plant some Tasmanian poppies.

But I think they're a fascinating branch of the poppy story. What I'm really interested in is treating these with colchicine. Being tetraploid they're going to produce some interesting results potentially and maybe one of these may hybridise nicely with their somni cousins.

So please count me in for some of these.

Any pictures of these from the nation's capital yet? :)

I'm in tassie ATM, my digital camera was stuffed when I left otherwise I would have posed ID photos..., I'll attempt to organise some photos but no promises..., I believe they've all gone to pod and well on their way to mature seeds tho... I'll be home in a couple of weeks to harvest :)

Sorry if anyone needed to have proof of the species (I did try to get my camera fixed before I left...), however I've been working with this plant for 4 years now and can 100% garantee them to be P. Segetium :)

M.

I'm in tassie ATM, my digital camera was stuffed when I left otherwise I would have posed ID photos..., I'll attempt to organise some photos but no promises..., I believe they've all gone to pod and well on their way to mature seeds tho... I'll be home in a couple of weeks to harvest :)

Sorry if anyone needed to have proof of the species (I did try to get my camera fixed before I left...), however I've been working with this plant for 4 years now and can 100% garantee them to be P. Segetium :)

M.

I'm certain it would have been a sight to see during the flowering. I find the particular shade off mauve which is almost iridescent to be quite appealing.

It's already been quite an interesting year with Papavers for me, and later in the season I might be in a position to share seeds of the other interesting and very hard to find member of this genus Papaver bracteatum (which you can see in my avatar and below...)