The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mushhunter

ideas on sterilization and mediums

hi again all ,what iff i dont have a presure cooker whats another good method ?aslo mediums for beginers sorry if i sound like a bozo but what does one do with the print simply just place it in the sterile medium or what ,im trying to read more but thers so many different methods its all making it confusing for me look forward to some posts cheers :innocent_n:

Get a PC..

www.pressurecooker.com.au

Edited by naja naja

Yep, you need a PC. Especially if you are working from a print.

thanks guys just got one for free off an old dude any ideas on medium?

thanks guys just got one for free off an old dude any ideas on medium?

Don't get confused by all the different teks - most of them are actually just variations on a theme and many of them are equally as good. Start with the basics - BRF and verm.

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek

When you succeed with that a few times you can think about grains etc.

Make sure your PC has a good seal and gets pressurised. Do a test run with water.

Depending on where you are the temps might be too cold at this time of year. You may need to build an incubator of some kind or wait til spring.

The pf tek (do a search) is a good first guide... try it by making your own brown rice flour if you have a grinder or patience with a pestle and mortar, if not the healthfood shop flour, make sure its brown rice, and the smaller the vermiculite bits the better

OH yeah and you're bound to get confused about the jars

don't worry about the canning jars

just use ordinary jam/pasta sauce jars

then spoon out your cake and case, either bulk substrate if you feel like it or straight verm

Don't listen to anyone who says casing is much harder than fruiting from cakes.

then spoon out your cake and case, either bulk substrate if you feel like it or straight verm

nice info guys thanks keep it coming

Yep, you need a PC. Especially if you are working from a print.

hey ther medicinedan does one simply colect the spores off the print and just wack em in the jar or make a syringe whats gonna be most effective?

syringe, and allow 24 hours to rehydrate the spores.

was going t say something but looks like hive shroom knowledge reaching another instar

Yeah! cake, case, fruit... chop up full col cake, put on a bed of wet vermiculite and cover with wet vermiculite. Casing this way is also a great way to also get more out of nearly spent cakes that have been fruited as a cake, but best to case after full colonisation. Also have patience!

In terms of general sterilisation for mycological work, what do people use? Glovebox set ups? using an oven or lucky enough to have a hood. Personally I have ok results (but not perfect!) with just using the lid of my pc to block air flow and working straight out of the cooled pc base (its a bit fiddly).

Edited by hairyplant

In terms of general sterilisation for mycological work, what do people use? Glovebox set ups? using an oven or lucky enough to have a hood. Personally I have ok results (but not perfect!) with just using the lid of my pc to block air flow and working straight out of the cooled pc base (its a bit fiddly).

I just use a big clear storage bin that cost about $10, cut holes for arms and use plastic bags as gloves. Takes a bit of co-ordination but success rate would be somewhere around 95% when in combination with a 70:30 metho:water spray.

I have never used syringes either, its a long story. I have always just used barbaric techniques like pouring straight into jars from a shot glass with spore solution. I have had very few problems. It pays at first to follow a tek, but there is certainly plenty of room for improvisation.

My favoured method now by far is doing agar to grain.

I would suggest, as someone mentioned previously that you invest in some sort of incubation / heating device as you wont get much action in cold temps