The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Other Psychotria ?

Do other Psychotria species contain tryptamines? Eg, Psychotria loniceroides, a native that grows frow Cape York as far south as Bega? Wouldn't it be fun if it did :-)

Some species definately contain DMT... for example P. alba and P. carthaginensis, both closely allied to P. viridis. I'm sure some others contain tryptamines as well, probably in useful quantities in a few species.

Pyrrolidinoindoline alkaloids (as found in Psychotria malayana) are often nauseating and, in sufficient quantity, fatal. They also accumulate over time, one type staying in the body for at least 60 days.

Many Psychotria species contain large quantities of these toxic alkaloids (like emetine) and so it is not safe to bioassay species without either careful purification or much chemical analysis.

The dimeric indole alkaloids are usually no fun. I presume this is true of the trimeric ones too. Too much bulk to fit into the serotonin receptors.

Cool, thanks Theo. All this investigation into salvia sp got me thinking about other interesting plants and their relatives. still I would be interested in seeing an analyis of some australian pychotrias.

a local dnome carefully smoked loniceroides leaves and water ext in small amounts and experienced only an interesting clearing of the mind and senses.this was the same with fitzalanii.no negative effects were reported,no tryptamines seemed present so he assumed all this is legal anyway.even if possibly dangerous.

t s t .