The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

My first seed grow setup

I have put the paper over the top to difuse the light as suggested, but as you can see it makes it quite dim under the lights - is this how it's supposed to be? The lid is transparent.

Does everything else look right? Distance of lights? etc?

Any other comments?

IMG_2911_lo.jpg

Personally I use a chux super wipe... which allows a filtered light through...

From what I see, is as long as you have warmth and filtered light together with humidity of course you should be ok...

Good luck,...

PS: those lights should work just fine for the initial stages... if the sprouts go red/orange, add more filtered shade,...

haha....

love the lamp stand.

Personally I use a chux super wipe... which allows a filtered light through...

From what I see, is as long as you have warmth and filtered light together with humidity of course you should be ok...

Good luck,...

PS: those lights should work just fine for the initial stages... if the sprouts go red/orange, add more filtered shade,...

Thanks for the tips, I have swapped for paper towels as you suggested, and it lets a decent amount more light through. I guess my only concern now is whether it's warm enough in my lounge. Only time will tell.

You probably should invest in a heat mat if your going to sow seeds during winter.

How far away exactly are the fluoros from the seed? If its around 30cm or more try not to diffuse the light and see what happens, my guess is that they'll love the light from around there, and if they start to go red then diffuse it..

weeee.eell

this is all IMHO, IME

there are two levels of a winter grow

one is mimicry of a sub/tropical dormant season

the other is mimcry of a sub/tropical growth season

the former often doesnt even require light

all it requires in drier conditions and minumum of 1C and low maximum temps

total darkness helps

its the way MS smith overwinters cacti, and the way i overwinter some frost tender dormant succulents (Adenium, Pachypodium, Monadenium and others )

the later you need above 15C minimum preferably with daily moves above 25C+ and lots of light

decide what you want/need and realise the needs of either

IME many cacti germinants thrive under UV over winter - trichs included

but ensure temps stay above 15C even 20C or youll get no growth

for ariocarpus, lophs etc - forget it. midsummer is the best time to germinate with 30C+ days and nights well above 20C

that said the needs of germinats and ature plants difer greatly

loph and arios like it HOT to germinate and as seedlings but lophs ALWAYS like it above 1C whilst arios vcan take -7C in subtropical dormancy (daytime 15C +)

better to get a heat mat and use natural light , maybe with supplemnental artficial at night if days are less than 10 hours

a 12/12 photoperoid is good for most tropicals/subtropicals

Edited by Rev