The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

caapi outdoors, melbourne winter

Torsten and darcy this is mainly a follow up for you...

Should have recorded it, yet didn't. If my memory is correct this caapi was received as a healthy rooted cutting coming into winter 2005. One cutting passed on from overwatering. One survived.

Now in winter 2006, this plant has been kept outdoors in NE melbourne, modified environment surrounded by Dry Forest ecosystem. I can't find exact minimum temperature data for my area, though during winter night time temps sit around 2 celsius, sometimes going lower.

The plant is potted in a well drained mix of CSS/potting mix/manure, sitting in a N-NE aspect.

At the moment she is under cover of a verandah, sitting on pavers, near a brick wall. This provides some buffer from the elements, yet it's still relatively exposed. We had quite a thick frost the other morning and she seemed very happy with the slight protection. Summer feedings of ferts like dynamic lifter liquid, charlie carp and seasol occurred, yet not very concentrate (being cautious, but it can be upped)

Some damage on plant from overwatering and insect damaged veins causing some foliage necrotism.

So by the looks of it, young caapi should survive NE melbourne winter temperatures if given some slight protection from wind/rain/frost. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue is the human element :P

In future years when she has a nice thick trunk for winter protection, I wish to plant her in the ground in early spring at the base of a poisoned and cut back Red Stringybark Eucalypt.

P. viridis seems to enjoy similar conditions. Will update come spring.

gallery_239_2_7511.jpg

gallery_239_2_32916.jpg

and to not start another thread, Tort here is the picture we spoke of. (and yep it was Paullinia vine bark rasped in healing forest w/pic)

approx 1 tsp syrian rue, 10ml cold tap h20 (pH 7.1, ppm approx 70), swilled and put under dick smith UV combo batton. This is a new pic, but the older ones with less water seemed alot more electric.

gallery_239_6_2358.jpg

At the moment I'm trialing A. nervosa (2 winters already), L. williamsii seedling (3 winters), Psychotria carthaginensis (looking strong), and Ololuiqui (looking good too) outdoors against a sunny wall. All are looking good so far :)

Years ago when it was legal Salvia divinorum grew fine outdoors over the winter and flowered fine. The flowers did start to go bad near the very coldest part of the winter with leaves going a bit pale. But it all perked up again come spring.

This spring I'm going to plant out nearly everything I have and see what makes it through the next winter after good solid growing season. (I will take back-up cuttings just case things go wrong)

With good placement and condition management, most should make it I hope.

Any other stories of success with other (sub)tropicals down south, would be great to hear from.

my caapi is doign ok outside for its second winter outside

it doesnt look as good as it does in spring summer

but is still doing ok

i think they dont mind when theyare used to it

Edited by hebrew

my caapi was planted as a rooted cutting in sept, into the ground, so this will be its first winter outside. despite the cool weather it is still growing well, not as fast as in summer but strangely enough the recent shoots seem much thicker, stronger and healthier looking than the summer growth (?). weird...

the base is a bit less than pinky finger thick, so im hoping that it should go ok thru winter. only problem is the wind, its in a fairly exposed location so it gets pretty battered when the wind picks up, but always seems to bounce back.

a trip to sydney via the new england highway as well as trips north was enough to make me realise you should have no problem

from herberton to tabulam to singleton at least the climate looks much of a muchness

there ius more in common with each other than with the nearby coast

the coatsl strip from melbourne to cairns is a lovely mild climate

you can grow mango and avocado in melbourne with a little thought to microclimate

the biggets diff after rainfall is day time temps

the nightime temps are fine

to succed moderate its water regime to be limitless in summer and restricted in winetr

in winter keep it near a warm wall that gest several housr of sun to raise daytime temps into the 20's and even above

sub/tropicals like high daytime temps even in winter. if they get these they may tolerate low night temps

capi will not tolerate prolonged night and day cold. and do not enjoy cold nights at best

Edited by Rev