The Corroboree
Jesus.T.Parker

Trichocerous I.D (excuse spelling)

Can anyone explain how to definatly I.D a Trichocerous? (excuse spelling)

A friend has a possible candidate growing in his yard. The specimen I'm writing about looks

like one compared to images I have but I've seen images of non active varieties that appear

very much the same. I'm told this one grows flowers that have some hair growing round the

base of the stem. I think I've added an image.

Cactus.jpg

Edited by Jesus.T.Parker

The specimen I'm writing about looks

like one compared to images I have but I've seen images of non active varieties that appear

very much the same. I'm told this one grows flowers that have some hair growing round the

base of the stem.

Here is a key: http://www.entheogen.com/content/view/48/2/, but it may require flowers to be present for correct identification.

If you can look at photos here or go to a nursery or somewhere where there are definitely IDd Trichs present with labels, familiarise yourself with them and you will soon have no trouble telling them apart from similar cacti. There are not many other genera which contain species that look similar enough to be confusing.

Otherwise, post a photo.

Edited by creach

Odds are if it does indeed have hairy flower's you are in luck. "Trich" comes from the Greek "thrix" meaning hair.

The only other plant that is commonly grown that looks a bit like a Trichocereus is a Cereus which has a branch cross-section that looks like a "*". These don't have hairy flower's.

A Trichocereus branch cross-section is star-shaped rather than the flatter "*" of the Cereus.

The picture looks like a Cereus to me but as is said above, Cereus dont have hairy flower base's so perhaps its a Cereus x Trichocereus hybrid?

Is that the picture of the actual plant in question or jst something you have found that looks similar?

Ahh, didn't get the photo before.

Definately Cereus, better luck next time. ;)