The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

tips for myco eating grubs

so being mushroom season here at the moment

alot of mushrooms have been picked

but there is this littel grub that is great at hiding within the mushroom

this little grub can be a hungry mofo and can destroy whole mushrooms quite quicly which can be a real shame when trying dry them even when using damprid

so any tips to deal with these little buggers?

I guess the easiest way to avoid these little maggots is to pick the freshest mushies. Usually you can see on the cap where they have been munching their way thruough on the inside, so just avoid those.

OR, you could do what i did...

I built a little cupboard type thing. It has a door, a lid to control temp a bit and a gap down the bottom so a fan or small fan heater can be directed inside. Inside it has five cake cooling racks that slide in and out. The temp inside the unit is measured using a digital thermometer used for aquariums. most of the time i can get away with just using a small fan in the lounge where it is reasonably warm but other times a heater is needed. This dries the mushies out fast enough to get rid of the maggots or at least dries the mushie before they devour it.

hope i explained that ok, i will try and get some pics up soon.

I guess the easiest way to avoid these little maggots is to pick the freshest mushies. Usually you can see on the cap where they have been munching their way thruough on the inside, so just avoid those.

OR, you could do what i did...

I built a little cupboard type thing. It has a door, a lid to control temp a bit and a gap down the bottom so a fan or small fan heater can be directed inside. Inside it has five cake cooling racks that slide in and out. The temp inside the unit is measured using a digital thermometer used for aquariums. most of the time i can get away with just using a small fan in the lounge where it is reasonably warm but other times a heater is needed. This dries the mushies out fast enough to get rid of the maggots or at least dries the mushie before they devour it.

hope i explained that ok, i will try and get some pics up soon.

yeah i did pick some older ones and prolly shoudl of left them but ahh well.

yeah some pics would be great

Here ya go hebrew.

Sorry it took so long to get the pics up. Hope they help.

post-1464-1148123912_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1148124193_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1148124502_thumb.jpg

Img_0401.jpg

Img_0402.jpg

Img_0403.jpg

Img_0401.jpg

Img_0402.jpg

Img_0403.jpg