The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Elaeagnus angustifolia

I was poking around erowid and to my amazement found a report of seemingly successful MAO inhibition with russian olive Leaves, looking here one year ago t st reported someone got MAO inhibition from the bark and quoted Dr. Duke saying the bark is 0.2% ß-carboline alkaloids. Does anyone have any more info on this? Any known extractions or experiences? The leaf thing is particularly interesting because Dr. Duke only mentions ß-Carboline concentration in the bark.

There are lots of these trees in my area and a little ways south there are whole forests.

picked yesterday!

experienced knome uses maoi for depression,but was a day or two overdue for a dose.she claimed to receive dose through skin while stripping very fresh bark!!!this is the second time i've heard of harmine type alkaloids being absorbed through the skin by sensitive individuals.

knome reported more like caapi than rue.

Dr. Duke's

Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

Chemicals in: Elaeagnus angustifolia L. (Elaeagnaceae) -- Russian Olive, Silver Berry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemicals

2-METHYL-1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDRO-BETA-CARBOLINE Bark: HHB

ALKALOIDS Bark 2,000 ppm; HHB

CALLIGONINE Bark: HHB JBH

DIHYDROHARMAN Bark: HHB

ELAEAGNINE Plant: JSG

HARMAN Shoot: HHB

N(B)-METHYL-TETRAHYDROHARMOL Bark: HHB

N-METHYL-TETRAHYDROHARMOL Plant: JSG

TETRAHYDROHARMAN Bark: HHB

TETRAHYDROHARMOL Bark: HHB

Soaking bark in water yeilds a fluid with a slight glow under a common 'blacklight'.

I have a sample of bark, it is interesting but I have not experimented. Other related species are also interesting and choice permaculture plants, though many are considered invasive.

I have wondered about the possible utility of the bark... I wonder what might be used to concentrate the contents where it would be legal?