The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

AFSR

Whilst updating stock I glanced upon a few items that are considered weeds in many states, with some of them schedualed.

My question for the people running the other chapters is whether we should go through the stock and add warnings for plants which have the potential to get out of hand as to make sure people ordering and cultivating these seeds keep an eye on them whilst their plants are maturing and seeding.

Examples of plants which may end up or are currently available and considered weeds are Solanum nigrum, Datura spp., Ipomoea spp., Papaver somniferum (which is a W1), Sida rhombifolia, Acacia saligna etc...

Any thoughts???

Normally if I'm sending out a weedy plant I include a note or send an email with a warning. IIRC some of the plants that i put up on the site also included a warning. It's a good idea.

it can be hard to differentiate between envoronmnetal weed and agricultural weed

Datura for example is a weed of urban wasteland and plowed fields

whereas Cestrum parqui is a weed of subtropical littoral habitats, but not elsewhere in drier or frosty places

the safest weeds are those that colonise disturbed habitats and do not persist

like poppies or lettuce or Datura

the worst are woody weeds and creepers like perrennial ipomoea spp.

almost everything can be a weed somehwre - even aussie natives - so good luck

almost everything can be a weed somehwre - even aussie natives - so good luck

I would have thought acacia saligna was the worst of all those mentioned? That acacia can become rampant.

On the Terms and Conditions part of the seedring site (which most users probably don't read)

it's got a vague rundown about this.

What is written wasn't supposed to be posted, it was more a general guideline I was talking to smogs about when the site was being created but we kept it there anyway. Some of it doesn't even make sense like the noxious/remnant bit and needs to be reworded and have more added to it.

Basic message is that any users of the seedring have full responsibility about the plants they produce. It's up to the grower to make sure seed and plants stays on their land.

If people are growing seed sourced from anywhere, IMO it's up to them to be educated about the species and their potential as threats.

I've got a few species that I don't really like to distribute for weediness reasons so I either keep it to a minimum, or take it out of stock completely.

I think it's almost impossible to control as distributors and the responsibility lies with the growers to source all valid information. It could be a good idea to label specific species to warn people, but essentially any plant has potential to become a weed so it's kind of pointless at the same time.

IMO a well worded, easy to understand message on the seedring site is the most effective way to communicate the issue. The message should either be a permanent page as part of sign up of new users, or should pop up / be incorporated within each order no matter how many orders a user has placed over time.

I've got to do a seed count and relist species when I get the time probably a few weeks when holidays start. so i'll try and make up some sort of message that communicates the concerns.

(BAH would people please not place online orders if they are not going to send the actual order form in.

It fucks with the stock levels and deletes the species from view whilst we've still got physical stock to distribute!!!)