The Corroboree
ThunderIdeal

guitar tab/lesson resources, what are yours?

how do you learn songs and junk? these days searching for tabs seems to take you to a limited number of sites which just host every tab file they've been able to collect, sometimes there is five versions and they're all pretty bad. guitar pro files tend to be ordinary too (otherwise a good concept). obviously the scanned pages of a published tab book tend to be very accurate and it's easier to read lead techniques (bends etc) and the timing

if you want to nail bits of a solo for instance, you want to load an mp3 into something so you can loop small sections at a time, slowing the loops down to start with. any number of free programs could perform that function. there is various software out now which can help in many ways, picking chords, isolating parts, i dunno whatever, it would be nice if software could take the effort out of finding what key a track is in.

so what's the problem? the problem is having to navigate your way around a tab file (guitar pro had solved this problem since the notation scrolls as the midi plays, even highlighting each note as it passes). constantly reaching for the mouse is bloody annoying.

printing is an improvement but not ideal.

i've seen some youtube videos that put all of the information on screen, video of a guy playing, video of his frethand, fingering diagrams, whatever, some of them have looping, slow runs...... this seems pretty close to ideal to me, if you can find the song you want to nail.

you can get LED's in your fingerboard so instead of referring to a chart you just select the scale or whatever and it's all right there, i think they could even show a different colour for each of the tonics or whatever, seems like a handy idea, making any scale available directly to your fingers on the fly, no need to practise the ascending/descending run endlessly just to learn A harmonic minor and realise that your memory relies on the inlays so ANY attempt to transcripe it is challenging to say the least.

i guess i think it holds everyone back, quite a lot, because if the sound and sheetmusic could be delivered in an extremely streamlined, convenient package which lets you keep your hands on the instrument and progress everyone could level up with a lot less time and frustration, and playing shouldn't ALL be about frustrating tedium, i'm pretty sure there should be frequent times when you transform into a centaur and gallop across the sky in a vortex of fucking lightning.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 1

ive found em for other peeps using google , a lot of dethklok ones are banned now here due to a lawsuit against the isp's - lol

but i usually watch the guys fingers... is how i managed to get slash's licks too... the gnr tab books are shite so gave up buying them at square 1....

or I play by ear ... wd love to have a jam some time, just got an Ibanez herman li (not the purple one) and its the best guitar i ever touched

n i been playing since 93 - gave up on tab about 96

:)

i noticed there were a few tab sites that wanted ya to sign up for an account with the site but i didnt feel like doing that just to get a fiddley dethklock widdle, which i still cant crack

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

torrents are pretty handy to find "offical" sheet music/tabs books

• Like 3

I use TablEdit for the banjo, have never seen guitar pro but sounds similar.

• Like 1

bigbasstabs.com is OK? Utube is alright...gotta wade through a lot of crap though either way. Songsterr.com is better yet still not ideal and is not free(free demo with limited applications). To be honest I generally do it the old fashion way by ear. Takes longer to learn a song but is most satisfying when ya nail it :). Or if I do use tablature printing it out is most definitely the way to go.

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

I've been buying a few tabs, individually and subscription, directly from various people who are composing fingerstyle versions of songs I like (eg from Ernesto Schnack, Kelly Valleau). I figure that they deserve a few bucks for all the effort, and the cost is very minimal. Compared to what I might spend if I paid for a lesson from an actual person, I figure that spending ~$10 a month on really great tabs is worth it.

• Like 3

thanks for the replies everyone :)

no master stroke solution :( although the possibility of getting a quality tab easily for a few bucks does change the picture. considering how much i spent on tab books when i was a broke kid, because i wanted to learn two or three of the songs on the album.

alice, where do you buy tabs? songsterr.com?

learning by ear might be more viable with some audio manipulation.... magically isolating the desired guitar part. i think the right software could even do a lot of the grunt work for you (you press play and it renders some notation which just needs to be checked by a human for crazy errors),

in many cases, its not a realistic method for me. it takes me a while to pick a melody, let alone chords, bits of harmony and riffs with 4 or 5 layers in the studio (so thats how metal be's so epic-sounding..)

• Like 1

http://www.kellyvalleau.com/

You'll need a paid subscription to see the tabs, but you can see him playing them for free on youtube or his site. His tabs are exactly what you see him playing. They are very clearly written, so I've found them surprisingly easy to learn. It's a lot of pop songs etc but also some cool versions of the classics. Bohemian Rhapsody springs to mind, that's really fun to play.

https://ernestoschnack.com/tabs/

Ernesto has some free and some paid. I got all his free and paid Tool tabs. His Game of Thrones ones are good too. You can hear him play them on youtube.

I do use Songsterr, but really only this guys tabs:

http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/sungha-jung-tabs-a9680

Sungha Jung is quite a talented kid :) check him out on youtube. Tons of songs that everyone knows, all in fingerstyle arrangements. His tabs seem pretty accurate to what he plays on youtube.

http://www.candyrat.com/Tabs.aspx

tabs from many professional solo guitarists

Plus often I've found that if someone is doing a unique cover of a song on youtube and they are semi-professional (i.e. very good at playing guitar), they will often link to their personal website where you can download the tab. Actually it's quite surprising how often this happens. Sometimes free, sometimes paid. Quality varies but generally if you are being asked to cough up $1.99 for a tab, it's fucking awesome. The free ones not so much.

• Like 1